aftermarket cartridge lockup

unome

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG7520, IP4700, IP8720
It states in Mikling's instructions that "To cure this lockup, all that needs to be done is to push the sponge away from the liquid reservoir side"
Can anyone comment on how that is done or have a video showing the process?

Tom Hock

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I had an interesting situation about a week ago. My iP6000D started printing very poor quality. Nozzle checks showed PC and M colors bad. I did several deep cleanings with no improvement. I than did an extensive out-of-printer head flush, but still no improvement. Then I noticed the PC ink tank was still full and it should have been somewhat low because of the deep cleaning cycles. This was some NO-NAME after market ink tank that had the outlet port sealed for shipment with a clear tape, not the orange clip that Canon uses. Apparently, when the tape was removed prior to placing in the printer it just ripped around the outlet port and the outlet port was still blocked with a clear tape plug, but unnoticed. It was not easy to detect except for the shinny surface when I looked at the outlet port sponge. I touched it with pencil and saw the problem. Pulled out the remaining tape blocking the outlet, and after another deep clean everything was perfect again.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Tom Hock, it’s great to hear success stories after what looks like a disaster may have struck, so next time you have a print problem always check out your cartridges first, because 99% of the time the cartridge is to blame for your poor ink flow problems, and please remember never to refill these aftermarket cartridges, and thank for your feedback... :thumbsup