Adhesive Ink?

aaa8

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello everybody. I am new to the board and have a question about the possibility of creating an adhesive ink.

I'm an artist and it would be super-helpful to be able to print stuff where the text that is printed is mildly tacky. What I would be doing is printing with the tacky ink and then sift certain enamels or powders onto the paper where the ink is tacky.

The types of glue I was condsidering are very diluted basic Elmers white glue or blue gel glue. Is it possible to fill an ink cartridge with such as solution? Or add glue to an existing ink cartridge with the idea that the ink would dilute the glue itself? Would I just be asking for a gummy mess?

Any advice you can give would be appreciated. Thanks!

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
The print heads could not handle the ink. Not too mention that they would likely clog constantly. Rather than adhesive properties, maybe just very slow drying properties? The enamel powders would still stick, wouldn't they?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
aaa8 said:
Hello everybody. I am new to the board and have a question about the possibility of creating an adhesive ink.

I'm an artist and it would be super-helpful to be able to print stuff where the text that is printed is mildly tacky. What I would be doing is printing with the tacky ink and then sift certain enamels or powders onto the paper where the ink is tacky.

The types of glue I was condsidering are very diluted basic Elmers white glue or blue gel glue. Is it possible to fill an ink cartridge with such as solution? Or add glue to an existing ink cartridge with the idea that the ink would dilute the glue itself? Would I just be asking for a gummy mess?

Any advice you can give would be appreciated. Thanks!
Its an acrylic or oil base ink printer that you should be looking for inkjets are a no no,
water based ink wont work with enamels and powers they just can't adhere to this type of ink.

What you'll need is a small silk screen printer so you can add resins and powers to that while the ink is still wet.
I would like to add that you can use adhesives instead of ink with this type of printing..

aaa8

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses.

The reason my first thought was glue was because I know that Elmers will burn off cleanly as a binder. I work with glass, so keeping the residue to a minimum is important because it would show. Slow drying might work. This method is how most embossers do it. But their process doesn't require a transfer. I worry that when getting the decal wet to transfer it to the glass, the whole thing would just melt away...I might have that same problem with glue, but I figured if I'm fast enough (or judicious enough with the water!), I may be able to keep the image together on the paper.

The Hat, I'm familiar with screen printing, and that's a good idea. There must be a reason that it's so popular with glass artists. I was just trying to think of something that might cut out a few of those steps. I've seen 3D printers that can print with plastic, so i thought, well hey, maybe I could jig up something to a deskjet that's 10% or 20% honey/glue/CMC that would burn off. Are there electronic oil-based printers? Do you have any recommendations for someone who is just looking to experiment?

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
You may want to research the Yudu personal screen printer. It's not remotely professional quality, but if you are just doing tiny things or want to experiment, it may be of some use to you. I've never used it, but I know people have made it "do more than it should be able to" with aftermarket higher resolution screens, etc.

henning

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Silk screen works but you can also make it with an ink-jet. Here can you buy some Adhesive. Works with Epson, Hewlett-Packard, Lexmark and Canon:

look for: photoceramics-center.com/supplies/adhesive-ink

good luck.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I think you should use a plotter with adhesive glue pen fitted. Depending on nozzle size you could make very thin lines cheaply. A modification to the plotter would be required, but I think you already know this.