adding Windex to Pharmacist's formula

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1430 HP 932 Canon iP8720
I've read many positive comments on the cleaning fluid developed by @pharmacist and have mixed up a 100ml batch. I'd like to add a small amount of ammonia which he suggests for head cleaning. I found a long discussion on this here but most of the comments were from folks in Europe where Windex is not available. The European ammonia products did not translate easily into equivalent amounts of Windex. For example, he suggests 20-25 drops of I believe it was concentrated ammonia... but I don't know how that translates to something in Windex.

Has anyone here in the US added Windex to his formula? I'd be very grateful to know how many drops (or ml) to add to his 100ml mixture of 20% isopropyl alcohol and 3% propylene glycol (the remainder being distilled water). And I'm grateful to @pharmacist for what appears to be a simple, inexpensive and effective product!

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@pharmacists’ solution is indeed a great cure for most ailments, but as you say sometimes you may want to speed up the treatment by adding a little ammonia.

You’d be ruining your whole batch of solution by adding the ammonia to it, instead add the solution to the ammonia, Windex I imagine would have far less than 3% of ammonia in it so work from that, the higher the concentration the bigger risk to damage, here is an example.

there is a product here in the EU called Astonish stainless cleaner, it has less than 5% ammonia in its ingredients, but only recommends spraying it on a surface and wiping off immediately, so if this is the case could you imagine what it could do if left in a print head for several hours.

I made up a Litre of pharmacist solution and I add that to other solutions whenever I need instant results, which is seldom because time itself is a great cleaner.

So, get an eggcup of Windex and add that to your solution and you’ll get all the cleaning power you ‘ve ever wanted...

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1430 HP 932 Canon iP8720
Thank you, @The Hat . I appreciate your point, ie make up a cleaning solution with Windex, to be used only when necessary. And keep a supply of Pharmacists solution in its original configuration, without Windex. Do I understand you correctly?

Regards,
Paul