About photopaper --anyone can help me ?

Towffe

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Resently , I did a test . I printed some picture , all by Epson printer and photopaper ( Made in Japan , OIJ company ) . When it was finished , the picture is ok , but after one hour , it turned yellow , and after two days , it's more yellowdish than two days before . I changed another ink ( from Formulab ) , almost same as former one . The two ink printed on plain paper and inkjet paper , the picture was ok . I think the problem should be cause by the photopaper . Anyone can tell me why this happened ?? and how I can avoid this problem ??

My MSN : ownlove79@hotmail.com

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Towffe,

Getting a color shift when the inks dry is a well known problem - see (http://www.pcphotomag.com/content/pastissues/2002/feb/inkjetpapers.html), which says "Be aware, though, that some of the long-life papers require extra drying time and may be subject to color shift during drying."

The problem is that photo papers must rapidly absorb the ink to prevent smudging, but that it takes a few days for the water and other liquid components in the ink to evaporate after the paper is printed. Depending on the ink-receptive coatings used on the paper, the ink dots can continue to spread out as this happens, changing the color.

Most "Inkjet" papers are the same as "Plain" paper, with no special coatings. They absorb the ink directly into the paper fibers, which quickly absorb the liquids and "lock up" the colors to minimize migration and color shift.

Try other photo papers to see if you can find one that minimizes the color shift.