Abort auto nozzle check on epson 4900

Riccardo

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
4900 - 7880
Hi all,
I recently updated firmware on an epson 4900 (with severe clog on cyan ink channel)
after firmware was updated the defauld auto nozzle check (and consequent auto clean) was set to on.
Now the printer wants to check nozzles everytime it is turned on and because cyan is clogged it performs a clean cycle...and so on.. and on.

Any idea on how to abort this wasteful cycle?
(I also have the maintenance software but couldn't find anything useful for this)

Thanks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Yes, never update your firmware, because it seldom does the user any good at all, and that goes double for Mac users...
I am sure there is a hidden setting in your printer properties that will allow you to disable the Auto clean...
Not an Epson user...:hide

Riccardo

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
4900 - 7880
There is a setting and it is not hidden. Only problem I can't access the menu while it's cleaning....

Riccardo

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
4900 - 7880
Thank you ink stained fingers, unfortunately I cannot access that menu because the printer boots, does a nozzle check, decides it needs cleaning, cleans, does a nozzle check... and so on. Only way to stop it that I found is to unplug it. Of course re plugging it and turning it on, we are back at the same point...

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I would assume that there is a way via the front panel like hitting the reset button and the power on button at the same time, or another 2-button combination to get into a maintenance or extended menu which would bypass that startup cleaning. You may need to get a maintenance manual for that.

Riccardo

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
4900 - 7880
I contacted an epson authorized reseller/tech and they say to press pause during power on which leads to a maintenance menu where I can only choose HOW MANY clean cycles the printer does automatically not to avoid it altogether, EPSON really loves to waste ink.
I will try later on to see if it only does ONE cycle, and the I will hopefully get into the main menu where I can disable all auto-wasting technology.
Thank you for your suggestions.

Kolby Yarnell

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4900
I contacted an epson authorized reseller/tech and they say to press pause during power on which leads to a maintenance menu where I can only choose HOW MANY clean cycles the printer does automatically not to avoid it altogether, EPSON really loves to waste ink.
I will try later on to see if it only does ONE cycle, and the I will hopefully get into the main menu where I can disable all auto-wasting technology.
Thank you for your suggestions.

Ricardo, did you ever find a way to abort the startup cleaning, or turn it off via maintenance mode? I'm in the same spot as you were, and the cleaning cycle always lands on an error. It's the circle of hell!
Appreciate any help.