A new way to clean a Canon print head

Tom Hock

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think I may have discovered a novel way to unplug a stubborn Canon print-head. In the past I have spent hours trying to clear a stubborn clog, especially in the pigment black nozzles, using the various methods discussed on this site.

Recently I took a set of used empty ink tanks (although new virgin tanks would have been preferred) and drilled two 1/16 inch holes in the top of the non sponge side. I installed these tanks in the print-head that I removed from my printer. With the head and tank assembly placed in a shallow pan, and in the sink, I injected Windex Window Cleaner, with Ammonia, into each ink tank, through one of the small holes. The other hole served as a vent to aid filling. A single larger hole would work as well. I did not seal these holes so the Windex was free to run out, but first it has to work through the print-head nozzles. I just keep an eye on this and add Windex as needed once the clog is dissolved. The constant, very slow, flow of Windex through the print-head should clean it thoroughly, and there is no danger of heat or air pressure, as used in some other methods, damaging the print-head.

All my printers have print-heads that accept the ink tanks, and lock them in position against the sealing grommet, with the head removed from the printer. There are some Canon print-heads that have the ink tank lock as part of the carriage that stays in the printer when the head is removed. Some improvising would be required to hold the cleaning tanks tightly against the outlet sealing grommets for this type of head.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The only tweak I might suggest to this approach would be to have a lint free cloth or material packed under the printhead with a small amount of windex/cleaning-solution in it.

If you then put everything on that you could benefit from the wicking effect from below as well as the fluid from above. Just a thought.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
It's not clear to me if you actually tried this successfully on a clogged printhead that you were unable to clear up by other methods. Or are you in the unfortunate situation of not having any clogged heads at the present time?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
ghwellsjr said:
It's not clear to me if you actually tried this successfully on a clogged printhead that you were unable to clear up by other methods. Or are you in the unfortunate situation of not having any clogged heads at the present time?
"unfortunate situation of not having any clogged heads at the present time?" :lol:

Tom Hock

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
A little more info: I pick up used Canon printers that use the #3 or #6 ink tanks at Goodwill stores and rummage sales for $3 to $5 dollars My wife and I enjoy these Treasure Hunts. Almost all of these printers have full or nearly full original Canon ink tanks. The one I bought last week had three new color tanks. The previous owner installed the tanks but didn't remove the vent cover tape so the printer wouldn't print colors, therefore it went to the Goodwill Store. The ink alone justifies the $5 price.

Since I don't need another printer operating (I have four set up now), I clean the print-head and pack the printers away for possible future use. Some of these printers may not have been used for some time and the pigment black is generally fully or partially clogged. I start by rinsing the head in warm water to flush out whatever ink I can. I then put some Isopropyl Alcohol (70%) in a syringe and place drop by drop onto the inlet screens of the print-head. If the print nozzles are clear the alcohol runs right through onto the tissue paper I place the head onto. This alcohol also clears out any water which may have mineral deposits. If each drop of alcohol moves freely through each of the nozzles at the same rate (black should be much faster), and the alcohol coming out of the nozzles is clear, I assume the nozzles are free of clogs, and I dry and pack the print head away for future use.

I developed the above method (first posting) because I frequently ran into stubborn blockage and would spend much too much time clearing them. My wife already thinks I'm a little nuts because I have about twenty printers in storage. The method I discussed worked very well. Every so often I would inject more Windex into the tanks, and dump the excess used dirty Windex out of the shallow pan. I keep the nozzle plate sitting in a small puddle of Windex, which accomplishes what websnail suggested.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Here's the thing you will face about storing twenty printers. I speak from guilt.

First, once you learn about caring for the heads, the heads will last a very long time unless you perform a ton of sustained photo printing. Thus your consumption of printers will drop.

Secondly, the Canon printer parking mechanisms can go sticky in storage. I have about 5 "new " printers waiting for me to free them up especially if they are dirty with ink.

Finally, watch out for hardening of the rubber components which will affect some rollers. In time they will all age, harden, shrink and not grip as well and cause feed issues.

I've been looking at my stash and know I have to get cracking and let them go sooner rather than later. At least someone will get real use out of it.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Tom Hock said:
I pick up used Canon printers that use the #3 or #6 ink tanks at Goodwill stores and rummage sales for $3 to $5 dollars My wife and I enjoy these Treasure Hunts. Almost all of these printers have full or nearly full original Canon ink tanks. The one I bought last week had three new color tanks. The previous owner installed the tanks but didn't remove the vent cover tape so the printer wouldn't print colors, therefore it went to the Goodwill Store. The ink alone justifies the $5 price.
Maybe you should have entitled this thread "A new way to buy Canon cartridges for less than compatibles"! Maybe I should try this, assuming you don't live near me.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
ghwellsjr said:
Maybe you should have entitled this thread "A new way to buy Canon cartridges for less than compatibles"! Maybe I should try this, assuming you don't live near me.
There's a well known way to do this getting refurb'd printers from the eBay Canon outlet and there are people actually doing this regularly to sell on the printheads, cartridges and CD trays. All well and good but you can bet they aren't disposing of the carcas that's left over when they're done.

Shame really but when the printer is that ruddy cheap...

Tom Hock

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have improved, and simplified, my head cleaning procedure. Now I don't have to tie up the sink or laundry tub, and the print head electronic circuits are never wet. Hopefully the attached picture (if I get it loaded) show the details. I used a small plastic food storage container and punched several holes in the lid to allow the cleaning fluid to drain away from the nozzle plate and electronic circuits and into the container. I place the nozzle plate on a small pad of a lint free paper coffee filter so the nozzle plate is always kept in contact with some cleaning fluid. I think a tea bag would be a good alternative. A piece of wood keeps the head level so the nozzle plate is in full contact with the pad.

Tom Hock

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
1300_pict0013_small.jpg

Latest posts