A dedicated photograph printer?

BML

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP6000D
I asked the following question and then my wife forgot that she had asked me to buy her a colour photograph printer so I did as well but the question has arisen again. I currently have Canon Pixma iP6000D colour printer and it is giving rubbish results. This may be because it’s used very irregularly and maybe it gets clogged up, I don't know. My wife wants instant copies of colour photographs when grandchildren have visited so it’s time again to start looking for a dedicated colour printer for just that. I think that my wife would like to print standard 6X4 if that is indeed standard. I have no idea about the qualities, performance or running costs of such machines and I know not a thing about Laser, Ink Jet or dye sub printer differences so could anyone please offer me some advice.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
...I currently have Canon Pixma iP6000D colour printer and it is giving rubbish results. This may be because it’s used very irregularly and maybe it gets clogged up, I don't know. .
Your ip6000 should be able to print really good photos. Like the most inkjet printers from canon, epson and HP...
But only if they are in good condition, and all nozzles are working fine. A "nozzle check" should clear this up...
Laser is for office, photos could suffer from lower resolution.
Inkjet is good for both but can dry out and then clogg...
Regarding the many different models ... depends on your preferences ...

Last edited:

BML

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP6000D
I have gone through every check and clean that is on the printer but its still rubbish.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
If your Canon's print head is beyond help, meaning it is hopelessly clogged from lack of use ( Printers need to be used ) you might want to look to a new print head. Or try to find a simple multi function CANON or EPSON. All will produce great 4x6s. If longevity is not an issue, then any of the Multi Function models with dye inks will suffice. If you need durable prints, then you will have to look into pigment based printer and mush higher initial and operating costs. But regardless, you need to print regularly and by regularly I mean at least weekly, or you will end up when you are at the moment.

Joe

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have gone through every check and clean that is on the printer but its still rubbish.
Could you upload a scan of the nozzle check print? Maybe the print head can be saved.

BML

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP6000D
I think that the Canon's print head is beyond help and is clogged from lack of use so that is worth learning but I suppose that I worried to much about excessive ink cost. I don't think its worth a new print head and I don't like multi function devices. I do prefer durable prints so I will look into a pigment based printer but will check the initial and operating costs and if to high then my wife will have to accept the on-line print services because I think their quality is quite acceptable.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
I think that the Canon's print head is beyond help and is clogged from lack of use so that is worth learning but I suppose that I worried to much about excessive ink cost. I don't think its worth a new print head and I don't like multi function devices. I do prefer durable prints so I will look into a pigment based printer but will check the initial and operating costs and if to high then my wife will have to accept the on-line print services because I think their quality is quite acceptable.

If you are worried about ink cost you can forget all about multi cart pigment printers. Your ip6000D uses BCI-6 carts which are cheap and easy to refill, non-OEM carts are also dirt cheap. If you buy a new printer chances are unless you study what is around very carefully you are not going to get something as cheap to run or as easy to refill.

Furthermore if as in your original post the printer is used "irregularly" then with pigment ink in some printers clogging and general performance (as also mentioned briefly above) is going to be an even bigger issue than you have now (Its easier to unclog/get ink flowing if its dye based that has not been used for a while over pigment inks).

I suggest you follow @PeterBJ advice an upload a scan of the nozzle check, from that members will be able to give you a better idea if the head is ruined or not.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
The IP6000 is too old to buy a new printhead.
It costs as much as a new printer.

I agree that you can print very good 4x6 (and up to A4) photos with "ordinary" low cost Canon printers (as with other brands).

When you buy a new printer consider one that refills easily (but this becomes more and more difficult, try to unclog your IP6000 first).
For the price of a set of OEM cartridges you can buy a refill set with 5-10 times more ink.

Welcome to the club :)

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Or you can simply go to your local Drug Store with a self service printing service and use that whenever you need to.
Home printing is expensive and printers need regular attention which it sounds like you are not ready to commit to the constant babysitting they require.
I babysit an army of sixteen 13" inch and wider Photo printers, Pigment and Dye and believe me, those babies are a handful to take care of.

Joe

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Or you can simply go to your local Drug Store with a self service printing service and use that whenever you need to.
Home printing is expensive and printers need regular attention which it sounds like you are not ready to commit to the constant babysitting they require.
I babysit an army of sixteen 13" inch and wider Photo printers, Pigment and Dye and believe me, those babies are a handful to take care of.

Joe

Good advice.
I am only at 4 (up to 13") and think about reducing.