A Colorful Death?

Hikermann

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Windows XP; HP Deskjet 722C - Am I facing the end of a long, trouble-free relationship with my 722C? Printing color results in only black and pink; new cartridge (tried 2 different ones); cleaned the cartridge per HP's Services tab; nada ... still only black and pink. Is there something else I should know about solving this? Many thanks.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
This printer uses the black type 45 cartridge, and the type 23 tri-color cartridge.

Is the tri-color cartridge a new OEM cartridge or a refilled /remanufactured one?

Many years ago I used a HP DJ 930 C with the cartridges 45 black and 78 tri-color. The 23, 41 and 78 tri-color cartridges are similar, and the 78 is difficult to refill and get working again. I tried refilling the cartridges and also bought remanufactured cartridges for the printer. I found the new OEM cartridges too expensive.

Remanufactured tri-color cartridges and cartridges I had refiled often gave problems with colors missing or not printing properly. You could try cleaning the contact surfaces on the cartridge and in the printhead carriage with kitchen paper moistened with isopropyl alcohol or an electronics contact cleaner. You could also try to blot the nozzles on the cartridge onto a piece of kitchen paper moistened with a window cleaner with ammonia. This might get get the cartridge going again. Also there might be airlocks in the nozzle chambers, a priming tool could be useful removing the air.

The type 23, 41 and 78 cartridges are similar and 78 is the most common, so searching the forum for "HP 78" might find some useful tips.

A little more than a year from now Microsoft will end supporting Windows XP with updates. This will be a sad day :( . I have some older computers running Windows XP, so I might have to start using Linux on them or discard them. Buying Windows 7 for them would be way too expensive, spending money on these old computers would be madness I think.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
PeterBJ said:
A little more than a year from now Microsoft will end supporting Windows XP with updates. This will be a sad day :( . I have some older computers running Windows XP, so I might have to start using Linux on them or discard them. Buying Windows 7 for them would be way too expensive, spending money on these old computers would be madness I think.
Even if XP doesn't receive further updates, it will still run the same as it did when the updates stopped.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Grandad35 said:
PeterBJ said:
Even if XP doesn't receive further updates, it will still run the same as it did when the updates stopped.
Agreed but what about security issues with no further support. Mind you if PeterBj can keep away from Windows 7 I have just spent best part of a week trying to get updates configured. Just kept going round and round warning you not to switch computer off. A google search found it a common problem and few sensible suggestions. In the end on a technical forum I found the answer do an inplace re-installation with the original disc. It worked but took a long time

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
barfl2 said:
Agreed but what about security issues with no further support.
Won't Firefox still get updates, as well as Flash and Java? Don't most viruses enter through holes in the browser/Flash/Java?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Unless the HP78 is refilled using a vacuum system, it is a notoriously difficult cartridge to refill. Even with a vacuum, a lot of things can go wrong. I've never had good luck with those. They always develop air voids that migrate down. I think it was the type of sponge that HP used.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think experiences with the HP 78 cartridges was one of the things that made Canon Pixma 4000 a best-seller when it was introduced. I have also struggled with the HP 78. The problems with the HP 78 cartridge made me buy a Pixma 4200. I then discovered the chips, I didn't know of these before I bought the printer. Luckily Sudhaus introduced the Redsetter a year later.

The HP DJ 722 C will still work with newer Windows versions, and even with a new computer without parallel port, if you use a USB to parallel port converter cable. Installation couldn't be easier: Just plug in the printer to a USB port and Windows Update finds the driver and installs it. Here are descriptions of how it is done in Windows Vista and 7. The HP DJ 720 C used in one of my installations is almost identical to the HP DJ 722C. Links are here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6784 and here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6767

barfl2 wrote:
....Mind you if PeterBj can keep away from Windows 7....
I do have a Medion Laptop using Windows 7, bought from Aldi. I like the Windows 7, almost as much as the good old Windows XP Pro. I also use a salvaged desktop computer, I have repaired, and which came with Windows Vista. I was able to reinstall the OS from a recovery partition, and also create a restore DVD. But Windows Vista is in my opinion the second worst product Microsoft ever made, I think that those old enough to have used Windows ME (Misery Edition) will agree that this was the worst Windows ever. I have also used Windows 98 SE and Windows 2000. I liked Windows 98 SE and liked Windows 2000 very much.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Grandad35 said:
barfl2 said:
Agreed but what about security issues with no further support.
Won't Firefox still get updates, as well as Flash and Java? Don't most viruses enter through holes in the browser/Flash/Java?
Everybody has the favourites and pet hates for one or more of the Windows O/S.

Yes there have been some real bitches but overall when its said and done mostly good ones,
if it not for Microsoft we would still be stuck with the very expensive IBM computers so three cheers for Microsoft I say.

My three main computers use Mac 10.4, Win 7 and Vista,
I have a couple of backups loaded with the older XP, 98a and Win 3.11 just to have backward compatibility,
I dont however go anywhere near the internet with any of my backups..

Just to add to the list, my pet hates were 95 and ME. :somad