80GSM Paper from two different brands have different drying time

The Old Man

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G3010
Hi,
Can anyone tell me why 80GSM paper from two different brands have different drying time?
I am printing office documents and the 80GSM from brand A dries quicker than 80GSM from Brand B.
The 80GSM from brand A has a rough surface texture as compared to brand B. Is that the cause?

The Old Man

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G3010
Probably one is a bond paper and the other is copy paper.. :rolleyes:
Doesn't say bond on the package. Maybe the smooth surface makes the ink dry slower.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I tried maybe eight or ten different brands of 80gr, copy papers. None of them has exactly the same drying time. None of them has exactly the same 'whiteness', thickness and transparency, in spite of weighting the same.
Drying time can be important when printing large documents, because some papers leave ink streaks and others don't, specially if printing full speed on automated double side mode,.
I've used several systems to eliminate the issue with my Canon Maxify. First was changing the drying time from 'short' to 'normal' and this worked for some papers, like Navigator-80 gr. but not for the paper that I'm using at present (no name and cheap :p). With this one I had to increase drying time to long and, oh boy, is it slow !. Printing speed is the same but every two pages, the printer stops for maybe 10-15 seconds before resuming the job. Not practical at all, so I tried leaving drying time on 'normal' and using 'silent printing'. That eliminates the 10 seconds between pages, but prints slower and almost in silence. All considered, this is faster than using long drying time. but slower than no silence and normal drying time.
You may ask, why don't you keep using the Navigator-80 paper?.. well, the price for a box of 2500 A4 sheets increased from 22 euro to 33 euro during the lasts months. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Artefil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MX495, MG7550, MG5650, MB2050
Just a simple remark, as you don't know the chemical composition of each paper you can't compare them. 80g means nothing except the weight. Are the papers all of the same kind ? Which grade is it, are they new or partly recycled sheets, what is the composition of the paper pulp, what about the whiteness... In my opinion too many questions to answer before comparing.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
In my opinion too many questions to answer before comparing.
That I’m afraid is far too many parameters to go into for just the standard every day copy paper that we use in most of our printers, but one thing is sure, mass produced copy paper are all sourced from the same pulp, no recycled papers are used..

It would be impossible to produce high volumes of cheap copy paper if recycled paper were mixed in.. A ream of copy paper is 60% cheaper now than it was 20 years ago..

Artefil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MX495, MG7550, MG5650, MB2050
That I’m afraid is far too many parameters to go into for just the standard every day copy paper that we use in most of our printers, but one thing is sure, mass produced copy paper are all sourced from the same pulp, no recycled papers are used..

It would be impossible to produce high volumes of cheap copy paper if recycled paper were mixed in.. A ream of copy paper is 60% cheaper now than it was 20 years ago..
In fact, yes recycled paper are used (it will maybe vary from your location, but in France we use to. Source : http://www.lepapier.fr/fabrication.htm)

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I just go for the cheapest 80g copy paper in town - normal paper - not recycling paper, and I have seen this type of paper coming from Brazil or India or Romania, but the 'Made in' information is not always printed onto the package and visible to the user. I didn't have problems with it so far.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
As I wrote in my former post, drying time is important for me, due to the way I usually print documents on my Maxify : booklet mode - automated double side, yielding four A5 pages printed in a single A4 sheet.

Owners of printers using rear trays with vertical feed (the majority of models) don’t have to worry about that, because the page being printed doesn’t contacts the previous sheet until it has advanced maybe half of the page, and that takes several seconds.
Not so with a Maxify in automated double side printing, because it pulls a blank sheet from the bottom tray immediately after the former page finishes printing, thus the bottom side of that blank page rubs against the printed sheet barely one second after,
In that short period of time some papers will dry almost totally and won’t get smeared, but other papers will.