Canon Pixma MX700
How do I fix 6a80 error without taking apart my canon pixma mx700

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
According to the service manual 6a80 is a purge unit position error. Maybe some parts are stuck in old ink? If the purge unit is accessible you could try cleaning it with Q-tips wetted with a window cleaner with ammonia. But the purge unit is not easily accessible in Canon AIO's, so you will likely have to remove the scanner and the casing.

Here is a download containing the service manual and the parts catalog for the MX700. The service manual has some instruction for disassembling the printer. An instruction in German for absorber change on the similar MP780 is found at druckerchannel.de. A Google translation to English is found here. And here is an excellent instruction with photos for absorber change on the MP830 by @jimbo123 .The MP830 is also similar to your printer.

Nicholas Koriakin

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MX700
Isn't there a way to fix it without taking it apart?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Unless you can clean the purge unit without taking the printer apart and this cleaning clears the error message, you will need to take the printer apart to get access to the purge unit. The error can also be caused by a dirty or defective position sensor. This sensor could be either a cam operated microswitch or an optical interrupter. The sensor is not accessible without taking the printer apart.

Sadly the AIO's / multifunctional machines are much more complicated to repair than the printer only models.

Maybe you are thinking about service mode operations? Service mode operations can only get some info and change a few settings. They can not correct mechanical or electronic errors.

Here is a look inside an MP800. The parts catalog for the MX700 suggests that the MX700 might look similar inside with the purge unit also hidden under an internal cover:

DSCN0524-1.jpg

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Years ago I had a similar problem with a Canon iP4000. I don't remember the error code, but it was a purge unit problem. I remembered a tip I had read somewhere, probably on this forum. Using a finger I pushed gently down on the pads on the purge unit. Something clicked in place, and the printer worked again. If you can access the purge unit, you might also be lucky. The purge pads are most likely very dirty from old ink so the use of latex or nitril rubber gloves is recommended.