6502 error and problems with refillable cartridges

RWL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
CLI 270/271 refillables from Precision Colors and less than a year old. The printer is a TS9020. The problems started a few months ago with the Magenta cartridge not being recognized after refilling. Despite getting an error message when inserting the Magenta cartridge I could turn the printer off and back on and it would print, and the Magenta cartridge was shown as being refilled. Fast forward a few more months. The BK and PGBK were running low and I refilled them. They weren't recognized as being refilled - that is, they didn't reset. No problem, I waited until I got the message that the ink cartridges may have run out and tried removing and reinserting the two black cartridges. Again they didn't reset. The printer continues to print but the two black cartridges are shown as being empty. I tried removing all of the cartridges so that the offending Magenta wasn't in place and started by reinserting the two black cartridges. They still didn't reset. I put all of the cartridges back. The last cartridge to go in is the Magenta and then it throws an error code. I see there's a reset method to clear the 6502 error code, but this printer doesn't have a resume button to push so I can't use the methods listed on line. Resetting might be unnecessary because as I mentioned, the printer continues to print. It just isn't recognizing the two blacks as being refilled, and on insertion of the Magenta cartridge it throws an error message. Is there a fix other than replacing the cartridges?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The problems started a few months ago
Be done with the printer messing with you every time you want to print, get yourself one of the Maxify printers, they’re not as finickity as most of the Canon printers , but best of all, they just Feckin print when you want them too and no messing...

P.S. You can also refill them easy...

RWL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Be done with the printer messing with you every time you want to print, get yourself one of the Maxify printers, they’re not as finickity as most of the Canon printers , but best of all, they just Feckin print when you want them too and no messing...

P.S. You can also refill them easy...
One of the requirements is direct printing to CD's. I don't believe anything in the Maxify line will do that.

RWL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I had to sacrifice direct CD printing, but in the end got a Maxify MB2120. I've refilled the original cartridges a few times and am using automatic reset chips. The printer is now about 22 months old. Like The Hat said, it just works.