520/521 Compatible Carts ex 7 DayShop- Resettable ?

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I am considering buying a Canon machine which uses the 520/521 carts as I have acquired a full set of empty OEM Canon carts and 4 sets , (at the moment!) , of empty compatible carts purchased originally from 7Dayshop.com (UK). I do not have a 521 printer (yet) , the empty carts are from a friend in an office that uses a 4600 .

I wish to know if any UK user has experience of re-setting these particular carts with the "blue" resetter that is currently sold to re-set the520/521 carts.

If they are not re-settable or they "do not need to be re-set" (how does that work?) , do the 520/521 Canon machines still allow ink monitor overide.?

I note the recent advice in this Forum of the intention of Canon to stop production of see-thru carts, so I am thinking ahead.

Thanks
Headphonesman

PS have just visited Octoink and see that there is a Red resetter now also for 520/521 so my post should read the red or blue re-setter.

strobemonkey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Canon OEM carts are resettable and the resetter you want is in websnail's website (I don't know about the blue resetter):
http://octoink.co.uk/products/Canon-CLI%2d521%2fPGI%2d520-Redsetter-[Battery].html

I have the same one which I bought off ebay as websnail didn't have them before. It wurks purfect!

Mine is here:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5547

I also have a third party set bought from ebay, the colours were rubbish so I immediately emptied the carts and reset them. They are also resettable. I'm hoping to use them for purging nozzles.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
headphonesman said:
..have just visited Octoink and see that there is a Red resetter now also for 520/521 so my post should read the red or blue re-setter.
Yeah, sorry, didn't want to turn the forum into an "..and now I have X product every other day". It's been a liddle on the busy side.

I've tested the USB version on a couple of CLI-8's and I'll be double checking on a few others using my newly acquired ip4600 and the spare carts I have... Just buried the thing under a ton of rubbish in a massive clear out today (stage #2 is tomorrow).

As regards overrides, etc...

The CLI-521/PGI-520 (same as the CLI-221/PGI-220) it seems, if anything that allowing yourself to continue printing is almost easier... I've not pushed it yet but it instantly recognises empty carts (even refilled) and requests a confirmation push on the resume button... I'm guessing it follows the previous routine of "Are you sure you're sure?" before it'll disable monitoring (again not pushed it that hard yet)...

The REdSETTER, will allow you to regain the ink monitoring by basically resetting the chip completely so it thinks it's a new, full cartridge.

As I said, more testing required so I'll smack it about a bit at some point in the next few days...

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
My thanks Websnail and Strobemonkey for your prompt and extensive replies to my queries.

All I need to know now , from experienced users of the 7 Day Compat Carts are the re-setter capabilities of the 7 DayShop Compatible Carts, can they be re-set or not. ?

My pre-occupation with 7Day is solely because thats where my source of empty carts , (via the office friend) , will be coming from . (Pity they cant use genuine Canon , must be a sign of the times ! ).

The reason possible adoption of the 520/521 has now occurred is my local Tesco Store is selling an MP 550 for " half price ?" at 60 . The genuine carts would cost that I think.

I have been checking the Canon outlet recently on e-bay and note they have now listed some of the printers as coming " with inks already installed " , whether the reason for this is to prevent easy resale , or to save us a technical job , I`m not sure , does anyone know why?. They used to send them with inks still in the retail packs.

The MP 550 would not be my first choice , either the 620 or 630 would appeal more , Does anyone know the part ID`s of the printheads of these 3 printers ?.......(.I always like to have a couple of spare printheads ) , I am presuming they are different to my MP600 spare printheads.

many thanks
Headphonesman

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
headphonesman said:
All I need to know now , from experienced users of the 7 Day Compat Carts are the re-setter capabilities of the 7 DayShop Compatible Carts, can they be re-set or not. ?
The only way to find out is to try unfortunately... I'd be happy to sell you one on a try it and see basis... If it doesn't work, I'll accept a return and you'll only have lost the postage.. or you can send one of the cartridges this way and do it that way round.

I have been checking the Canon outlet recently on e-bay and note they have now listed some of the printers as coming " with inks already installed " , whether the reason for this is to prevent easy resale , or to save us a technical job , I`m not sure , does anyone know why?. They used to send them with inks still in the retail packs.
Interesting... the iP4600 I got was with retail packed cartridges but it could have been a one off... I'd certainly welcome them doing something like pre-installing though because all the printers are being snapped up by strip/sell types, which is pushing the price up and resulting in a LOT of excess electronic waste (namely the printer carcases)

The MP 550 would not be my first choice , either the 620 or 630 would appeal more , Does anyone know the part ID`s of the printheads of these 3 printers ?.......(.I always like to have a couple of spare printheads ) , I am presuming they are different to my MP600 spare printheads.
Unfortunately no... You could probably phone a Canon service centre and ask them to provide some pricing and part number information for those printers and see if they can tell you.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
"or you can send one of the cartridges this way and do it that way round"

Thanks websnail, the second suggestion would appear to be most practical, but I will leave it for a few days to see if anyone surfaces that is already using this 7Day/reset scenario. I will PM you when ready regarding item chosen and its dispatch.

Even if I do not eventually purchase a 520/521 machine the knowledge would be useful to the Forum I think.

It is less pressing now than what it was as I misread "breakdown" of the carts I was holding !. 80% are genuine Canon (20carts) , 20% are 7 Day (4 carts).........a nice surprise! . However any fresh empty carts I get will be 7Day ,useful to know if re-settable , so overall a nice working stock.

Regarding the printheads info , that also is not pressing , the only way to get spare ones (relatively) cheaply is via the Canon Outlet , in the current economic climate I doubt I will be doing that as easily this time around.

headphonesman

IanYY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Canon Outlet (Ebay UK username "canon_uk1") only sell refurbished products. I assume/guess the reason why inks are preinstalled is that they were needed as part of the testing process for refurbishment.

I bought a Canon ip4200 from them a couple of years ago. This came with NO inks and NO printhead. But it was in perfect condition (looked like new) and I was very pleased. My previous 4200 fell off a table and broke into a thousand pieces, so I just needed a new shell !

Regarding the printheads info , that also is not pressing , the only way to get spare ones (relatively) cheaply is via the Canon Outlet
Canon Outlet (canon_uk1) does not sell printheads on Ebay UK - at least, there are none advertised right now. Some other Ebay sellers have various Canon printheads listed, but other Nifty-Stuff posters have reported that Canon Service Centres can be cheaper than Ebay, so should be checked out first.

PS have just visited Octoink and see that there is a Red resetter now also for 520/521 so my post should read the red or blue re-setter.
I have got a 520/521 red re-setter (not from Octoink but it looks exactly the same) and it works perfectly with genuine Canon OEM carts and also with my only set of cheapo unbranded Ebay compatibles. But that's no guarantee it will work with all compatible carts. For the benefit of other readers, note the 520/521 red re-setter probably doesn't work with 220/221 carts - a separate model is available for 220/221 cartridges.

Ian

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies IanYY,

I am aware that the Canon Outlet items are refurbished however , like you I purchased several 4200`s a couple of years ago for the ink carts and the printheads, which were included at that time , the inks were in the Retail "tent" cartons , some were packed in the polyframe packing , but I never received any actually installed in the chassis

Regarding Canon Outlet not selling Printheads seperately , I was referring to the fact that to get one (relatively) cheaply it was better to purchase a refurbished machine, you get a set of inks , a printhead and a spare chassis for what you would pay for a just a printhead from a third party (or Canon Service).

Thank you for your reports on the 520/521 redsetter, exactly the sort of re-assurance we need, I only have to resolve , (probably via the good offices of Websnail) , whether it performs fully with a 7 DayShop compatible. I note your remark that performance with compatables may vary .

Print head ID`s
I have been doing some digging and find that broadly speaking most printheads can be purchased for 50-60 from 3rd party suppliers , here are the codes of the ones I noted:-

QY6-0072-000............MP630 , ip4600
QY6-0061-000............ip4300, ip5200, MP600, MP810, MP800
QY6-0073-000............MP540, MP620 , MP560, MP550
QY6-0070-000............MP510
QY6-0059.000............ip4200

This list is not complete of course , but it can help to identify which printhead has a good usage amongst models when you go looking.

This site , (a main Canon spares supplier I think) , only
states Printhead part numbers
http://www.crc-tasktron.co.uk/gbu0-catshow/CM0050.html

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just to note CRC are the primary reseller for spare parts in the UK and you'll pay less for the much older parts compared to the ones for the newer iP4600, etc...

There are quite a few cheap ones on eBay in the USA/Canada although I have no idea how reliable or trustworthy the sources are...

I've got a few going spare myself in case anyone wants any...

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
headphonesman said:
... and the answer is....

*cue: drum roll and reallllly annoying pause*

*cue: second drum roll and further pausing while people let out the first breath, roll their eyes and will the idiot with the info' to spill*

*cue: smug grin from said idiot... etc... etc...*

Yes... The REdSETTER for the CLI-521/PGI-520 is compatible... with the 7day CLI-521 compatible cartridge chip...

Yeah, I know, it's not like winning the lottery really is it... I'll try harder, promise! ;)