3D Printing In Vase Mode

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I kept hearing people talking about "vase mode" and I never really understood it. I figured it just meant printing a thin wall and something hollow.

Well, that's part of it, but I was missing the most important bit (at least important to me)... the fact that the nozzle goes from "stepping" from layer to layer, and into a spiral (constant / consistent z-axis) upward movement.

It's SUPER interesting to experience, especially after a year of stepping up z-axis movements!

I have no desire to print a vase, but I got inspired watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8nSKMdYse8

... and printed the "straw" for the spinner in vase mode!

SOOOO satisfying watching it print!

upload_2018-6-23_22-10-26.png

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Most of the sample prints you see on 3D priter product pages are done in Vase mode as it's continuous and you don't see any "zit" or bad layers, also there is not much change of direction so those tall prints you see on their demo pics are easy to print.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
SOOOO satisfying watching it print!
I reckon this obsession with 3D printers is as bad as Smartphones...:eek:
O’ I don’t have a smartphone so only suffer from one affliction...:lol:

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Most of the sample prints you see on 3D priter product pages are done in Vase mode as it's continuous and you don't see any "zit" or bad layers, also there is not much change of direction so those tall prints you see on their demo pics are easy to print.
Yup, and you'll very often see vases printed at trade-shows because they are relatively fast to print compared to anything else, and a faster print shows off WAY better than something that's super slow.

I reckon this obsession with 3D printers is as bad as Smartphones.
LOL, I'm not sure... I'm unfortunately terribly addicted to my smartphone.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
NOTE TO SELF: Don't forget to uncheck "vase mode" when moving on to print non-vase items. The results are interesting and also kinda catastrophic.
:hide