Very first refill of OEM cartridge IP4500

stevec

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've just done my first fillup of a printer cartridge ever. Used the German method which went very well - apart from breaking off the 0.8mm drill I used to drill the hole in the cartridge! My low ink warning came up this morning and I found the black pigment ink resevoir empty although there was plenty of ink in the sponge. I decided to fill up with IS ink from Precision colours without purging the canon OEM ink first. I hope there will be no reaction between the two inks!! I have two sets of empty OEM cartridges which I have just purged but they have not dried out yet. I'm waiting to find some glycerine to make up the conditioning solution that is recommended on here.
I used the red chip resetter which worked fine. I must say I'm happy about having another cartridge of ink for 60pence (less than a dollar) instead of paying Canon's inflated prices!

Steve

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Remember that soon after several refills you'll start getting ink flow problems and will need to flush your cartridges. I'm actually using G&G compatible cartridges, I bought them, transferred the chips and rinsed out all the G&G ink to refill with my bulk stratitec. The G&G carts look like they're prone to less clogging because of a lower density single layer foam vs the canon's high density dual layer material. Who knows though because the german method pokes holes in the foam which could allow a more direct path to the outlet. I drilled and plugged mine with rubber so I can refill without removing carts if I want. So far 5 refills and it still drips out of the cart after I refill it like normal, whereas the number of drips coming out would be less and less with oem with every refill which is the precursor to ink flow problems.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
qwertydude said:
it still drips out of the cart after I refill it like normal
This is the first I have heard that it is normal for a cart to drip. A cart might drip for a minute or so after refilling and securely capping the refill hole in the tank, but it should not continually drip. Could you please explain this a litttle more?

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I do mean it drips for only a brief time after refilling. What I meant was a canon oem cart will drip 6 or 7 times on the first refill, then 5-6 a couple refills after that, then 4-5, 3-4 and so on. After about 15 or so refills it only drips like 1 drop. You think to yourself yay less waste but then you'll start running into ink flow issues when you print solid colors. My G&G compatibles seem to drip consistently about 6-7 times after even several refill sessions.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
qwertydude said:
I do mean it drips for only a brief time after refilling. What I meant was a canon oem cart will drip 6 or 7 times on the first refill, then 5-6 a couple refills after that, then 4-5, 3-4 and so on. After about 15 or so refills it only drips like 1 drop. You think to yourself yay less waste but then you'll start running into ink flow issues when you print solid colors. My G&G compatibles seem to drip consistently about 6-7 times after even several refill sessions.
Mine never have dripped unless I squeeze the sides (using German method on OEM cartridges).I've refilled the current set of cartridges 12-15 times with Hobbicolors ink and have had no clogging at all(that's without a 2nd purge).

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
avolanche said:
Mine never have dripped unless I squeeze the sides (using German method on OEM cartridges).I've refilled the current set of cartridges 12-15 times with Hobbicolors ink and have had no clogging at all(that's without a 2nd purge).
This is the norm with properly handled OEM carts.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
They drip if you refill with a drilled and plugged cartridge because the foam will oversaturate with ink since you've in essence vented the the reservoir . In fact if you don't reseal the reservoir all the ink will just drip out.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
qwertydude said:
They drip if you refill with a drilled and plugged cartridge because the foam will oversaturate with ink since you've in essence vented the the reservoir . In fact if you don't reseal the reservoir all the ink will just drip out.
I thought we were discussing the German method.I "vented" the reservoir to make purging easy.Then sealed the hole to use the German method.....with no drips,just as it should be.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
jflan said:
avolanche said:
This is the norm with properly handled OEM carts.
jflan
I know that this is the way it's supposed to be.I thought my description explained this to the OP.There should be no leakage(or,at most a drop or 2 if you overfill) using the German method.That's one reason it's the best refill method for my use......clean,effective,and fast.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Yep, I actually use the top-fill and I get a couple of drops at most, also. If you're getting more than that you are leaking air and it's usually on the reservoir side of the cart.

I suppose an aftermarket cart with it's inferior foam could bleed too much air from the foam side of the cart.