2nd Pro-100 couldn't resist but......

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, ip6600D, i900D
1st of all i apologize if this has been covered, but i have read and searched, but not seen the question i am posting.
I am very grateful to you all that have answered my PM's and the wealth of knowledge that is posted here not to mention the education i have received in regards to refilling carts..........this alone has made printing an enjoyable part of the hobby that i use to get put off by with the price of replacement carts.
With that said i have ordered all the stuff from PC for 3 printers now and have even flushed a set of BCI-6 carts that i thought were too old to use..........life is good, and here is my need to know question.

A local craigslist ad was listed in my area for a brand new Pro-100 for $25.00. Of course the seller had already pawned off the Ink and Printhead. Still though, for 25 bones, one can use the machine for many things to cover replacement of my 1st unit should it ever fail or to setup and use in another room my son and i share for our photo interests.
I have also acquired a few extra printheads for the printer as they come up on ebay for low dollar amount.
As i understand it, the "setup" cartridge and OEM replacement carts use the same chip.
So does the Pro-100 rely on unused (never reset) setup or OEM carts to talk to the printer for the very first time?
Will i want to setup the 1st printer with these carts and possibly transfer the head and carts to the 2nd printer to use for initial setup before ever refilling and resetting the chips?
Then of course one will sit in the box until needed.

OK that's 2 questions, but i am not one to overthink things, but just cautious to what may or may not be needed.

regards,
-mike

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If you got these printers just lying around spare and you’re falling over them, then why don’t you have a go at fitting an external waste ink tank to one, you would be the first to do it with the Pro 100 ? :p

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
If you got these printers just lying around spare and you’re falling over them, then why don’t you have a go at fitting an external waste ink tank to one, you would be the first to do it with the Pro 100 ? :p

not falling over yet:D.......but kinda weird that a person can buy one of these for less that what i paid for the 2 stand alones i have.
1 big printer is enough for me, but for 25 bucks, who could resist.

"external waste tank?"..............i'm game to try that.
will need some input though.:idunno

Thombar

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100, Canon MX922
I too would like to know what an "external waste tank" is?

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
anyone care to answer original question?:caf

i'll give the PP a think, but right now i can't seem to find the kit or the price...........

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
"Too kind. All credit to @@The Hat for the fantastic job with his instruction guide."
I second that:thumbsup

OK so it's possible (just maybe) that i'm overthinking, but i have been thinking (too much my head hurts) that i can setup printer 1 as it should out of the box with the printhead and supplied carts, then use same head and carts to initialize printer 2 that came without the head and carts.........perhaps this isn't necessary, but i have no conclusive input to go on, and knowing that Canon is surely looking to keep refillers from robbing them of their ink revenue i will at least be able to run the stored unit at a later date without worry that it needs "setup" cartridges.

Have a lot of printing to get done and caught up on, so more ink from PC will be used than anticipated.
And speaking of Precision Colors, Mike is an absolute joy to talk to and his service is second to none.........we all know the quality so nothing needs mention in that regards.