Canon Chip Resetter Reports

binkie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
A Canon chip resetter has been available for about a week now. I would be interested in purchasing one if I knew that they actually worked without incident. At times I get careless with my printer, and I know it is only a matter of time until I forget to check a cartridge that is almost empty and burn out the print head. A $60 or so investment in a chip resetter will save me money in the long run.

If anyone out there has purchased and used a Canon chip resetter, I would appreciate you posting a report with the vendor web address and comments regarding your experience with the chip resetter.

Also, has anyone heard any news as to whether any United States companies may start selling the chip resetter?

Thanking you in advance.

Binkie

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
It is my understanding that the printer records the serial number of cartridges that have been in the printer similar to the way my old HP PSC2110 did. If a cartridge is refilled and reinstalled in the printer is would not reset ink levels. The HP kept 2 serial numbers in memory so I had 3 sets of carts I rotated. I had read earlier that the reset carts from Atlantic wouldn't be a problem because the chance of getting you old carts back was remote. Can anyone verify printer does or does not record serial numbers and, if so, how many it keeps in memory?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
There is an eBay seller out of Germany with a chip resetter - http://stores.ebay.com/magic-chip . He has hundreds up for sale. Only a few have been sold so far. The comments left from those that have purchased a resetter have been positive.

I'm tempted but waiting for more feedback before shelling out $70.

binkie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score

tgame

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
binkie said:
RKS also has a Canon chip setter for sale over at Ebay . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sid=m37&satitle=160240400313&category0=&fvi=1

That gives us two choices- Redsetter and RKS. Any reviews on each would be appreciated. The prices are a bit steep, but affordable when considered against buying OEM cartridges or burning out a print head or two by disabling the ink monitoring.

Binkie
I've just received the RKS one this morning and have avidly tried it all out and everything has been perfectly simple and satisfactory so far. Such a pleasure to have the cartridge ink levels showing again.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I heard canon is using new chips now. Is it able to reset them too?

jru

Printer Guru
Reaction score
tgame,

Can you please explain exactly how this resetter works?
The ebay page seems confusing.
Are the chip extenders only for resetting non-OEM carts?
So did you just buy the first item (the resetter) without the extenders?
I'd appreciate your explaining more how you used it, and also if you can keep us up to date how on its use.

Thanks!

tgame

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
jru said:
tgame,

Can you please explain exactly how this resetter works?
The ebay page seems confusing.
Are the chip extenders only for resetting non-OEM carts?
So did you just buy the first item (the resetter) without the extenders?
I'd appreciate your explaining more how you used it, and also if you can keep us up to date how on its use.

Thanks!
I didn't buy the extenders as I didn't think them especially useful for my routines.
The resetter that I got is a small red device that one presses the cartridges in to reset them. The cartridge light comes on when the operation is complete after a few seconds. Then the cartridge, so far as I have been able to judge, displays as when new. I have not yet used enough ink to make the bars go down so am just hoping they are working properly. The resetting process is incredibly easy. There is no obvious way of changing batteries.

I am using the original OEM cartridges from Canon which I have already refilled several times, and which had reached the stage of not displaying the ink levels.

The picture on ebay is nothing like what I have received. Mine is much smaller and has no buttons or switches of any sort.

binkie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
tgame said:
The picture on ebay is nothing like what I have received. Mine is much smaller and has no buttons or switches of any sort.
tgame,

Any chance you could take a photo of the chip resetter you purchased and post it on the forum? Also, any particular reason you purchased a RKS chip setter rather than a Redsetter? Wonder what the diferences are between the two?

Thanks.

Binkie