2017 Culling of my Epson herd.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
2017 is here and I have had to cull my flock of Epson printers. Three will see the trash can.

WF3640- Electronic failure upon restart. I have reason to believe it is the printhead. All other functions are receiving what looks like perfect power. Before the holidays, I was missing one gap that never went away and despite cleanings etc. it was always there. No, not a clog...this machine hardly ever got or needed head cleaning. So it appeared to be electronic.,,,,eventually, it looks like it got worse. I replaced it for less than I paid for the to be discarded one. Says a lot of what is inside....all plastic really.

Artisan 730. Suddenly it started to have drips across the page and the Cyan emptied very quickly relative to all other colors. The LM was cross contamiated as well. This machine had had light useage being reserved to print primarily onto optical discs as well as one of the last printers to have a Compactflash reader so I did not have to pull out a USB Adapter. Head delamination...classic symptoms. Consistent bad nozzle checks on certain channels, cross contamination and fast emptying on one channel. Cannot be replaced......so sad. My MG6320 will be left to print discs now.

Artisan 50. Another classic Yellow Black crosscontamination and head delamination. Could still be used but why bother I have a lot of other printers I don't need a defective one kicking around. Bugs me to see it. Likely to be replaced by an Artisan 1430 in the spring if they do not go out of production by then.

So that is the major culling so far for 2017 and hopefully the last this year.