XL or ordinary OEM carts for Canon MG7750?

mercurius

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP610
I have narrowed down my search for a new printer to the Canon MG7750 and I am just looking at the ongoing running costs of ink.

What's the difference between the XL and the ordinary carts for this printer? Are the XL carts meant for high volume work, rather than just ordinary everyday home printing?

Also can't work out from the ink specs I have read whether the OEM carts contain dye or pigment ink.

Can anyone please clarify/

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The printer uses two kinds of black ink cartridges. A larger one contains pigment black that is used for printing on plain paper. It gives a clearer and sharper and more waterproof text on plain paper, but is totally unsuitable for printing on photo paper.

For printing on photo paper the printer uses dye inks, these inks are in smaller cartridges than the pigment black. the dye ink cartridges are cyan, magenta, yellow, grey and (photo) black.

The Canon OEM cartridges come in two versions standard and XL. They have the same dimensions, but the XL versions hold 50% more ink. As you cannot empty a cartridge 100% and some ink is lost in cleaning and maintenance, the page yield for the XL cartridges might be close to double that of the standard cartridges. As the XL cartridges are around 50% more expensive than the standard cartridges they give a better economy as the cost per printed page is lower. I recommend the use of the XL cartridges.

Here and here more info about the ink capacities is found. The PGI-x50/CLI-x51 and PGI-x70/CLI-x71 cartridges seem identical except for the chip.

The info above is for Canon OEM cartridges. Some compatible cartridge sets have a small and a big black cartridge both containing dye black. This is to avoid clogging the pigment black nozzles as some after market pigment inks have ruined many Canon print heads. But that's another story.

Last edited:

mercurius

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP610
The printer uses two kinds of black ink cartridges. A larger one contains pigment black that is used for printing on plain paper. It gives a clearer and sharper and more waterproof text on plain paper, but is totally unsuitable for printing on photo paper.

For printing on photo paper the printer uses dye inks, these inks are in smaller cartridges than the pigment black. the dye ink cartridges are cyan, magenta, yellow, grey and (photo) black.

The Canon OEM cartridges come in two versions standard and XL. They have the same dimensions, but the XL versions hold 50% more ink. As you cannot empty a cartridge 100% and some ink is lost in cleaning and maintenance, the page yield for the XL cartridges might be close to double that of the standard cartridges. As the XL cartridges are around 50% more expensive than the standard cartridges they give a better economy as the cost per printed page is lower. I recommend the use of the XL cartridges.

Here and here more info about the ink capacities is found. The PGI-x50/CLI-x51 and PGI-x70/CLI-x71 cartridges seem identical except for the chip.

Many thanks for this great info and advice.

I thought that pigment inks are better than dye for photo printing. Is that the case? Do any of the Canon printers use pigment inks?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I thought that pigment inks are better than dye for photo printing. Is that the case? Do any of the Canon printers use pigment inks?

There are two kinds of pigment ink, one is a black ink for plain paper only, and another kind is black and coloured ink for photo printing. Most inkjet printers for home use have pigment black for plain paper documents and dye inks for photo printing. There are some Canon printers using pigment inks for photo printing, but these are high-end photo printers that might be less suitable for plain paper document printing. The pigment inks for photo printing are more fade resistant than dye inks, but the printers are more expensive.

Latest posts