Why ink configuration of many printers could be better

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
The importance of a grey ink is very important to get neutral B&W prints, but also to increase the gamut of color prints. This is the reason why some printers should have another ink cartridge configuration:

Epson R1800/R1900/R2000: 8 cartridge printer should have the following configuration:

-matte black
-photo black
-grey
-gloss optimizer
-vivid magenta
-cyan
-yellow
-orange

The Canon Pro-10: 10 cartridge printer should have the following configuration:

-matte black
-photo black
-grey
-light grey
-vivid magenta
-vivd light magenta
-cyan
-light cyan
-yellow
-gloss optimizer

The key idea is to omit the red cartridge and having it replaced by grey or light grey cartridge. The Canon Pro-10 is only able to print a single droplet size per ink channel, so the light colors are necessary, but the Epson can produce different droplet sizes from a single nozzle (down to 1.5 pl droplet size), so the Epson does not need light colors to get visually the same effect. The drop in gamut by omitting the red cartridge can be compensated by using vivid magenta to overcome this problem.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Something no one else has tried either is to put the grey in place of the Photo black and a light grey in the normal grey position, the real problem is that no one is prepared to experiments with their precious new printer in fear they will damage it.:(

It only takes a couple of spare empty cartridges, a quick chip change and a bit of imagination to expand the colour gamut or reduce it they go the wrong way, but still totally worth it for the experience gained wouldn’t you agree..;)

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Cant see how that change would help a printer like the 3880, Black is either, only one, not both, and I have greys, and GO is only really of use with shiny papers ? yes/no??
So what would I stand to gain.
I have only found one image that showed potential for out of gamut and that is the Ayres Rock Pool image posted hereabouts. There are some blue/greens that are right OUT! there

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Cant see how that change would help a printer like the 3880, Black is either, only one, not both, and I have greys, and GO is only really of use with shiny papers ? yes/no??
So what would I stand to gain.
I have only found one image that showed potential for out of gamut and that is the Ayres Rock Pool image posted hereabouts. There are some blue/greens that are right OUT! there

What about the solution of no needing of changing photo and matte black and dump alot of ink in your waste ink tank. Gloss will stil be improved with a gloss optimizer.

I onced suggested the following solution:

-combining the matte and photo black cartridge tank with 1 tank (connected together) with gloss optimizer) on matte black position
-matte black on position of photo black
-photo black on position of light black
-grey on position of light light black

omitting the light cyan/magenta and replace it with orange (increase of gamut in skin tones).

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
@pharmasist
Ok I go with you on PK, for me it just sits there 99% of the time, then as you say dumps on the maint. tank when I make a change......once in a Blue Moon

Gloss?, the glossiest paper I use is BFK Rivas, even the Xerox is flat...so maybe because I have not used it, I can't (at the moment) visualise my benefit, but I am open to the idea!

I dont understand, how a person would combine MK & PK, can you explain that further so I can make a mind picture of the set up please.
Orange would be great! BUT, here in Australia.........cyan & magenta gone? we have much RGB in pastel tones in our trees, soils, and rocks..........that would take a HUGE leap of faith for me to drop those.... any other Aussies got a comment on that please?

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I was specifically referring to the Pro 10 printer and failed to mention that, I can’t comment on how easy it would be to do the same on an Epson printer.

It couldn’t be easier to switch ink cartridges with this printer you could change out cartridges and replace them with just about any colour and you don’t have to dump loads of ink into the waste pads.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The use of varying sizes is also related to speed as well as the number of potential colors or combinations. Don't forget that there are only a fixed number of nozzles and for the sake of realistic speed, you can't have too many head passes.
On Epsons, what is the difference between Photo and Best Photo settings other than a little less sharpness? Actually linearity is one result. How come? less head passes and how does that relate to dot size, well the dot sizes are fixed sizes and the dot spacings are also fixed based on the feed rate and physical nozzle spacing. So some approximations will ensue that only more head passes and smaller dot sizes will accomodate. Will gamut change? possibly but not necessarily.
With the cost of multi color printers with grey inks today and especially something like the Pro-10 with going for as low as $299USD.
Why mess around except for messing around sake?

The Pro-10 does not really need the Light Grey. The price paid is speed. Canon has always favored sticking with strong reds as this is a big color in the Asean markets.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
BTW, Pharamacist has easily defined why the Pro-10 is maybe an ideal pigment printer that many potential R2000 owners should look at and also R3000 owners as well as long as they don't need roll feed.

It is also well suited for those who worry about fading with dye inks.

All in all, at the super rebated prices, it's actually a superior overall printer for enthusiasts who want it all and are willing to sacrifice a little speed. There are so little compromises on this machine except for speed, which for many is non a big deal.

Droplet size is not everything. Over and over.

soberprinter

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 2400, 1400, 3520, 410
I've been running an Epson R2400 with a different ink configuration for a couple of years. Not really doing much black and white work, I removed the 2 grays and installed the other black and a gloss optimizer channel. It fits what I print nicely. I have to use a RIP because of this reconfiguration and had to reconfigure the RIP to work with this setup. Using OCP colors and IS blacks and gloss. It's a lot of time and energy spent but the learning experience was worth it. I've got to experiment in ink limits, black and gray generation, the mixing of light and dark colors and linearizing the channels. I just got a R1900 with a partially working RED channel, can't seem to open it up fully, so the print head sits in a bowl, soaking. I saving it for when the 2400 goes belly up. If you're willing to learn about using a (configurable) RIP, most printers can be reconfigured. When adding the odd colors (red, blue, green etc) we'll never really be able to reproduce how the original driver uses them (Epson magic!) but can still achieve more than satisfactory results. I use WinGP, a Windows compile of Gutenprint. It works with 32bit versions of Photoshop as an export filter and also works with Gimp. Not everybody's cup of tea, but I'm happy with it.

I am very pleased with the results I get from my Epsons and involved workflow, and my friends like what I can do too. Do I continue to experiment to make it better? You bet I do.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I was specifically referring to the Pro 10 printer and
printer.

It couldn’t be easier to switch ink cartridges with this printer you could change out cartridges and replace them with just about any colour and you don’t have to dump loads of ink into the waste pads.

@The Hat
I assumed you were talking about Canon, however, being curious I am in hopes that Pharmasist expands on his post as he talks about MK and PK and does run a 3880.

My interest was in the expansions possible in skin tones with the substitution of orange. Question is would that come at the cost of some of our native tones, which I feel are somewhat unique to Australia. I was brought up in Africa and there were huge numbers of gum trees there (obviously not the variety of species native to Aust) but I never saw the colours that this HARSH climate brings out in its flora.

@mikling

Got a delivery today, cart. 100% many thanks:thumbsup
:thumbsup:thumbsup

Latest posts