Where to buy a printhead

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
Im looking to buy a QY6 0080 Canon printhead. On Ebay I see some come from Japan and others from Hong Kong.
Is there a difference in these. Right now I have a very good price on one from Japan which I am considering.
Thanx

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
Now I also see some from China. Is one better than the other???

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
The cheapest USA prices for Canon printheads (for supported current printers) IS.....drumroll....

CANON , USA Service/Parts department. Google the 800 number....

IF, you printer is still supported by Canon, that only lasts about 5 years.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Alernative is a second hand printer with the same head.
Bought a MG5250 with 1500 pages this week for €30.
Expensive IMO, but it is the last line where the chips (525/526) can be reset.

New MG5650's are now dumped under 60.
Some suggest we should stock those since there exist ARC chips for the 550/551 cartridges and the successor line has new 570/571 chips (but they seem already been cracked in China).

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Im looking to buy a QY6 0080 Canon printhead. On Ebay I see some come from Japan and others from Hong Kong.
Is there a difference in these. Right now I have a very good price on one from Japan which I am considering.
Thanx
pearlhouse, have you try calling USA Service/Parts department to check if the printhead you wanted still have stock? I would avoid buying from china unless I really don't have a choice because majority from china are actually refurbished but seller claimed as new. If the seller do sell any actual brand new one, the price is about the same as what is sold in USA Service/Repair department. Because it hard to discern from package whether it's new or not if you buy from china, you may run the risk of paying for an expensive one thinking it's new.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
...I would avoid buying from china unless I really don't have a choice because majority from china are actually refurbished but seller claimed as new. If the seller do sell any actual brand new one, the price is about the same as what is sold in USA Service/Repair department. Because it hard to discern from package whether it's new or not if you buy from china, you may run the risk of paying for an expensive one thinking it's new.
That's right and should be underlined!
I just bought a qy6-0075 from aliexpress. It is out of production from canon, but is offered as "new and original", 80usd. Bad nozzle check, dispute for refund is going on...
Before I bought 2 qy-0049, out of prodction since long time, offered as "refurbished", 40usd each. One works fine, bad nozzle check of the other. Partial refund for one, 40usd, seems to be fair.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
There is no way to refurbish an inkjet printhead. At best, it can only be cleaned, tested and cleaned again.

It's not hard to forge packaging material to make it look like new, original packing and sell it as new.

So what they're actually selling is cleaned used product.

Unfortunately, it's hard to stop/prevent this deceptive practice.

Heck, people lie to your face when you ask them if the printer prints fine only to find out the PGBK doesn't print. It happened to me recently when I bought a used printer on Craigslist. It was only $20 USD so not a big deal but disappointing just the same.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model

Heck, people lie to your face when you ask them if the printer prints fine only to find out the PGBK doesn't print. It happened to me recently when I bought a used printer on Craigslist. It was only $20 USD so not a big deal but disappointing just the same.

You could have asked a nozzle check.

It is quite possible to filter the interesting offers (there are grosso modo 3 categories: those who don't know anything - and buy only OEM ink, those who know a bit - buy the cheapest ink and suppose their ruined printer is still worth a fortune, and those who know a lot - and know the value is low: the first and third are the only ones to consider)
That's what I like on second hand sites.
I always pick up the printer myself (but not everyone lives in a highly populated area).

vienna01

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX922/Canon LBP6230dw
Some years ago I bought printhead from China. When printhead arrived it had been tested with ink. Since I was buying it to store until I needed it, I didn't want it to have ink residue. I had to clean it and add anti-corrosion.

If you are buying a printhead to put aside for much later possible use. Tell vendor to send clean one. I think the general recommendation is to have vendor send test info with printhead. In this case that is wrong approach.

Latest posts