Where is the best place to purchase the best CISS in the uk

TerryFoster51

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother MFC-J6720DW LAN
Never looked at CISS systems before and have two printers - one is a brother MFC J6720DW which has chipped cartridges and the other is a canon IP4000 which uses transparent cartridges.

I used compatible inks before but they let me down maybe because I did not run the printer enough, so wondering how reliable these CISS systems are.

I am based in the UK, in Hull, East Yorkshire - so somewhere fairly local would be handy.

How reliable are they exactly? How can I get over the Brother Chips on cartridges?

Thank you in advance for any feedback

Terry

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi Terry, it’s good you came here before you purchased a CISS for eider of your machines, because you would have wasted your money and destroyed one if not two good printers.

The Brother carts can be refilled or you can use compatible carts that work extremely well and have overcome the problem of resetting the chips, and your iP4000 doesn’t not need chips of course but the carts can be refilled so easily for that model.

The best advice I can give you is not to install a CISS because they D O N T work, yes I know they look and sound great, but trust me they don’t.

Refilling is a much better and cheaper way to run your machines, and if you don’t wish to refill then aftermarket compatible carts are the next, and the last is new OEM carts, but believe it or not, the most expensive way is CISS..

there is a good company in your area close to where you live that cater for all makes of printers, why don't you send them an email for information and they will respond promptly and happily on all of your requests http://www.octoink.co.uk/

TerryFoster51

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother MFC-J6720DW LAN
Thank you for your reply.
I am dubious about CISS if I have to be honest and I don't really fancy having tubes and bottles hanging around the place. It only needs one clumsy mistake and then you've a right mess.

CISS looks great in principle, I just needed to have actual feedback from people who have tried it rather than believe the hype that appears on sellers websites.

The Canon IP4000 has served me well, but a) the inks became so expensive and I am always replacing them, and b) the magenta head is looking though it is not working. I have followed unclogging guidelines from the web and whilst this has not damaged the head any further it has not made any improvement to it. I am sad to have to lose the ip4000 as my main printer now because the cartridges still held more ink than todays printers do, even the XL ones.

I may be old fashioned, but I personally think it would be better to pay more for the printer and have a good sized ink resovoir instead of the other way round (cheap printer, expensive inks) Even the Brother printer I have looks great in the cartridge size, they are indeed larger, but most of it is down to plastic rather than ink volume. The ink volums is still less than the iP4000.

I don't do much printing really. I print out reference pictures so I can do paintings from them also print pictures out for friends and family. So far I have printed three A3 photographs out on the Brother and the ink already is down by about 10%. Quite heavy.

I have always shied away from using compatible ink because in the past I have found that they can be of inferior quality and even clogged up the head.

The one thing I will say about the Brother MFC-J6720DW though is that it produces an astounding A3 photograph. Though if I wanted to run a professional printing service it would not be financially viable.
I have been hoping that there would be a professional printer out there with good ink reserve to try and start up a printing service, but alas the only ones I see in the shops are for home use.

The other thing that swayed me was the A3 scanner. Whilst it is reasonable I am finding that it will not scan at the hiogher resolutions because of memory issues and the Epson scanner I have here has more scanning options available to me. The Brother is a little to basic for professional tweaking and the 300dpi scans to pdf or file is not as good as the Epson scanner.

Instead of this post being a reply, it's turned out to be a comparative review. Thank you again for the reply.
Terry