What to look for in a website hosting company

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I've been having a lot of problems with my web hosting company in the last three months and it appears to be getting worse. Inconsistent and slow loading times and more frequently the site is down when it should be up. Something is up.
I need to start looking for another hosting company.

First the tech support tried to tell me I have a large site and I was sharing a server. Well, most of the space are ICC profles which are not "loaded" only served to download on a request. The core site outside of the profile files is actually less than 1 Gb. The first tech then tries to sell me on Sitelock. I asked how would that solve the problem?..he didn't know. Then I was told it was because I was on a shared server. ..I needed a dedicated server. Huh...my tiny little site. Then they convinced me that my site was "large" with a lot of files. Me, created a yuuge website? Did not but it. The things is hardly any changes were made over the last while and things just seem to be getting worse.

Someone called and as I try leading them to a page, it would not load. I got on the PC and same issue, different geographical location. Then I called Tech support...all the while same issue. Then about 45 minutes later, it cleared up by itself. Then they blamed my code....

So any ideas on what to look for in a webhost?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I just changed my host and migrated everything over the last week. This one uses SSDs exclusively and has some kind of super cache for faster response. Now I can move forward again.
Always.....something around the corner.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I just changed my host and migrated everything over the last week. This one uses SSDs exclusively and has some kind of super cache for faster response. Now I can move forward again.
Always.....something around the corner.

Your site was indeed slow, but today it is blazing fast !

Glad you solved the problem.
Success !

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Very fast indeed..
... but the ICC download seems to be down. I just tried to get some profiles for my E8A ink set, which I received a week ago, but it says "404 - not found".
Hopefully you will fix it, mikling...
..or am I missing something .. a new login..??

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Very fast indeed..
... but the ICC download seems to be down. I just tried to get some profiles for my E8A ink set, which I received a week ago, but it says "404 - not found".
Hopefully you will fix it, mikling...
..or am I missing something .. a new login..??
I was surprised it was missing. I then tested others and discovered something. There is a bug in the web editing software. Just before migrating the site, I upgraded the software I use. It looks like the pages that had not been altered since two versions previously are not loading properly. So essentially I have to review all pages and test to see which needs to be edited and reloaded.
The R800/1800 pages are loading now. I thought I could move forward and the migration was done....! wishful thinking.

Always something around the corner just like I said earlier.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
A nice site, fast and clean, no clutter.

When you have time (if ever :)) you might post up a guidance thread on "how to set up or build your own website"