What are The Advantages of an External Waste Ink Tank..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The first question you should ask yourself, Do I need one ?

The answer is a definite no, it is not necessary to have one at all, but you are just kicking the waste ink issue down the road, you can always deal with the waste ink problem later.

Now the first advantage is not having to think about replacing the darn waste ink pads at all or ever again, so it wont come up and bite you in the ass when you least expect it too. (Putting a used printer on the back seat of the car can give surprising results).

The next advantage is it can also save the ink that probably would have ended up in the waste pads unnecessarily, but by knowing you can readjust your printing habits to avoid excessive purging, it’s another form of ink monitoring.

You can clearly see what your machine is doing when you turn it on and when it starts up with the purring and whizzing or if it’s doing a quick clean, or a normal clean or even a complete purge of all your inks. (It’s just nice knowing)

It’s commonly known that if one of your cartridges is getting low on ink then some of the others are not that far behind it, so by changing all the cartridges that are on or below half full, then your machine will only carry out the one mandatory cleaning cycle to refresh the inking system.

If you are the type that changes just the one cartridge at a time when low, then having an external waste tank will actually demonstrate to you just how much ink is used up from the constant cleaning cycles that are preformed after each individual cartridge is re-installed, (Better known as the Domino effect).

A fact that is missed by a lot of guys is, the printer doesn’t waste ink unnecessarily, it has to purge after a new cartridge is installed, so bear that in mind when you choose to change your cartridges one at a time.

The advantage of having the external waste ink tank is you can see where all the excess ink goes and you can measure it, otherwise you wouldn’t have known how much ink ends up in the waste ink pads.

An added advantage with the external waste ink tank is you can test and clean your purge system by running cleaning cycles, and observing the flow of ink coming from the pump, you can also test each side of the pump separately..

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
@The Hat, maybe I'll be the first to install one in my good old MX7600 approaching a full ink pad warning (after 15.000 pages) as seen on a check from a few months ago.

In my experience many problems of this printer (as black lines on the back of the paper) are related to the clogging of the purge system.

Attachments

• MX7600 EEPROM.pdf
    678.7 KB · Views: 379
Last edited: