Unlocking Hidden Canon Memory Messages / Extended Nozzle Check Pattern

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I don't have the service manual for this printer, so it would only be guesswork.

When you get to #5 and press the Resume/Cancel button 'once' followed by the power button 'once', then you have told the printer that it has a particular setup.
The setup might be 'Japan' and you would now need to install the drivers to suit.
The only way I can see to get back to normal is to get to the #5 stage and go through the sequences one at a time, that is first time push Reset 1 time, followed by power 'once' to execute the command, then back out and try the printer.
If that has no effect get to #5 again and push Reset 2 times followed by power once and try again.
I don't know if disconnecting the printer from the PC before each change would affect the result.
If I can turn up a manual, I shall re-post.
Note, the above is only guesswork.Caveat Emptor.

roybales

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Jackson, thanks for the response.

I just got a hold of the i550.i850 Service Manual, and here is the info.

0 Green Power off When there is no head, the carriage returns to the home position and locks
1 Orange Service test print
2 Green EEPROM information print
3 Orange EEPROM initialization Destination is set to overseas during EEPROM initialization
4 Green Clear wast ink counter Clear wast ink counter
5 Orange Destination setting After selectin a function, press the Resume button
(1: Overseas, 2: Domestic)
Not sure what this next one actually does
6 Green Head refreshing Clear both BX/CL ink
7 Orange Not used for service
8 Green Not used for service
9 Orange Not used for service
10 Green Return to selection menu

The i950 is different from 6 on down EXCEPT 5 Destination Setting is now :)(0: Domestic, 1: Overseas)

fortisi876

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
nifty-stuff.com said:
Okay, I've received a few requests for the code I used on my i860 so I'm going to post it. I take no responsibility for what these codes do to your printer.

From what I read these were designed for the i550 and i850. The extended nozzle test pattern worked on my i860.
CAUTION: After using the code on my i860 I couldn't print anymore so I had to turn off the printer, unplug the USB cable, turn the printer back on, and re-plug in the USB cable.

Start with the printer OFF

1. Hold down RESUME and then hold down POWER
2. release RESUME (while still holding down the POWER)
3. press RESUME twice, then release POWER
4. The green light will blink and the printer will make some noise. Wait until this is finished, you are now in the printer's diagnostic mode.

To select one of the functions below, use the RESUME button and then press POWER to execute:

# of RESUME Presses - Light Color - Function

0 - green - Power Off
1 - orange - Service Test Print: Extended nozzle check pattern
2 - green - EEPROM information print
3 - orange - EEPROM initialize
4 - green - reset waste ink counter (For the Canon waste tank full error)
There are other options beyond these first 5, but from what I hear they do things that you don't want to mess with.

If you are brave and test these codes, please report back what does and doesn't work for your printer.

Remember... ATTEMPT THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
Hello!

I tried doing the above test, I got through steps 1-4 with no issues, when the noise stopped I hit the RESUME button once to do the service test print......Im not getting any action here, the led is still lit orange but no print....what am I doing wrong?

i9900 here.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Did you press RESUME once and then press POWER to execute the command?

fortisi876

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
DOH!

No, I forgot to push power to execute. TY!

It's working now! ;)

Cant seem to get it out of service mode. Tried the power button, unplugging the USB and power cord. Any other ideas?

3 hrs later....still nothing works. :(

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Pressing the power button without pressing the resume (0 presses) works on my i9900.

If all else fails, you could pull the power plug, wait 30 seconds and plug it back in (never tried this, but it might work).

fortisi876

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think I have another problem so I have a question.

Is it possible that I sucked in some air while the carts were out (purged them), thinking maybe the printer cycled or something?

All I know is when I popped the new carts in, I printed one 4x6 and one 8x10 image that looked good at first glance, later taking a closer look at the larger print I noticed some very light streaking leading me to think that maybe some of the holes in some colors might be clogged. That's when I opted to try the 'Extended Nozzle Check Pattern', worked on the first try. Deciphering that print is another story. :)

Anyhow, after getting out of the Service Test mode, I tried printing something and all I got were horizontal lines and a very faint outline of the image I was trying to print (below). So all night I thought it was possibly still in service mode but now I'm wondering if I have air in the nozzles???

Any ideas/fixes/tests????

Otherwise, it's becoming an expensive paper weight in the basement. :mad:
p1037340169-4.jpg

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
A cleaning cycle pulls a vacuum on the nozzles and will pull out any air bubbles. This assumes, of course, that the cleaning unit is functioning properly.

The fact that you got some good prints with the new carts would tend to indicate that things were working properly at that time.

What does a nozzle check show after a cleaning cycle? The image that you posted says "Content protected by Owner", and doesn't display for me.

fortisi876

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It doesnt show anything, I get a print like above except it's a partial nozzle check image.

The image should show now sorry about that.

I dont know if it makes a difference but while popping the carts in and out a few times I noticed the sponge on the new carts arent completely saturated like they usually look. I can still see some white up top. I thought I was having a ink flow problem but I must have ran a half dozen clean cycles and a few deep clean cycles.

DIRTY CONTACTS ON PRINT HEAD WAS THE CULPRIT......printing much better now!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
You have remembered to remove the tape covering the vents haven't you?