Unlocking Hidden Canon Memory Messages / Extended Nozzle Check Pattern

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To exit from the service mode just hit the power button, if that doesn't work pull the power cord.
I have had to press the power button 3 times (after resetting the "waste tank almost full" error) to get the printer to turn off.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Tyamada, thanks for the suggestion.

What happens with mine is after I've selected the code and finished it's thing the printer goes back into service mode. At that point if I hit the power button it advances a piece of paper about 2 inches and then powers off. Turning the printer back on advances the paper all the way out and the printer seems to still be in service mode. This same cycle repeats until I unplug and plug in the USB cable (which actually isn't that big of a deal).

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Try removing all the paper from the input tray before powering off - that works on mine.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Grandad I regret to report that removing all the paper from the input tray before turning off the power did not get me out of service mode. After attempting I tried a nozzle check pattern but got an error message that there was no communication with the printer. This time I simply removed the USB cable and re-inserted it and this worked and the nozzle check started right up (it was still in the print queue).

fkeen

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out how to activate the "Extended Nozzle Check" on the Canon i860. I have not been able to find the instructions. Could somebody post the specific routine required to get it going. Also please email it to me at fkeen@repeatotype.com

Thanks in advance.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
fkeen,

Look at post #6 in this thread. On my i9900, the number of presses gives:
Resume Presses Function
0 Turn off printer
1 Print basic information and an extended nozzle check pattern
2 Print very detailed information and EEPROM info
3 Reset EEPROM
4 Reset Waste tank empty alarm

Start with 0 Resume presses and see what happens. You can then try 1 Resume press. I wouldn't try 2 presses, as this resets the printer memory on Nifty-stuff's printer.

You might want to look at the links given on post #9 of this thread.

To get an e-mail when someone answers your post, just subscribe to the post.

Craig Ross

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
How many times can you reset ink waste levels without actually cleaning the pads?,I actually pulled the printer apart first time I got this message,rinsed the pads let them dry for a day and reassembled.
I've gotten a lot lazier since then and have reset it three times since then,without cleaning,although I probably would,nt recommend it.
My answer to cleaning the pad without pulling the printer apart was to vacuum ink out with a syringe

waste01.JPG

waste02.JPG

I probably got about 30 to 40mls of ink out, the syinge was poked about into the sponge under the head until I found a couple of areas where it went right to the bottom where the pad lives and let it vacuum for about half an hour.
Like I say probably not recommended unless your as lazy as me(actually I,m not lazy, just too many deadlines and too many little projects to do)

PS I can also confirm,at least on my S9000,that the reset sequence only works with the head removed.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Craig, EXCELLENT POST!

Was it you or Grandad discussing this idea before? I can't believe you got that much ink.... that is a LOT of ink!

The greatest thing I found in your post is that it looks like you poked the hose through the sponge/foam that lies under the printhead path? Is that what you did? Any other specific things you did?

Also, next time this happens (you get the waste tank full) could you print the "EEPROM information print" before and after you suction out the ink, then again when you reset the waste tank? I'd be curious to see the "D=" number is on these prints.

Craig Ross

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Rob
I'm only guessing the ink, but it was a lot. The reason I decided to do it was because every time I reset
the waste levels I always forget about removing the head so I spent 40 minutes mucking about with the key sequence and lost about 3 carts worth.Some times I forget more than I know kinda like Homer Simpson
when you learn something new something old falls out, the correct instructions are now written in red and
permanently stuck on my wall.
to answer your question about where I stuck the syinge I poked along the foam until I found a couple of areas
were the syinge went all the way down I could hear the vacuum sucking liquid. their is an area to the far left
were the head parks on a cleaning cycle that was saturated with ink.
As far as getting into the extended nozzle check and other service modes I've not been quite game,
as it's a work machine I take the attitude If ain't broke don't fix it but I,m sure curiosty will get me
in the end.