Troubles with refillable cartridges - please help

floK

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma IX6850
Hi,
I bought this bundle from Octoinkjet and, following the instructions in the video-tutorial, I managed to successfully fill all the cartridges. But when I removed the orange clips and the tapes from the air vents, I've noticed that the ink from the yellow one is flowing, especially when slightly tilted - as you can see in this video I've made: https://youtu.be/6d75UULhOkY
As this is the first time that I use refillable cartridges, I don't know if this is normal (but why the others have not this issue?) or the yellow cartridge is deffective.
If it is defective, what should I do with the other 4 cartridges that I just refilled, in order to keep them in good conditions until the replacement will come (maybe 2 weeks)?
Is it enough if I put back the orange clips and some tape on the vent holes?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The video is too blurred to clearly see details of the cartridge, but the ink leaks out from the cartridge as if air can freely enter the ink compartment. Air can enter through a defective or not properly seated refill plug or through a crack in the casing. I think air can also enter if the sponge does not contact the bottom of the cartridge. It is hard to see but is there a gap of a few millimetres or around 1/8" between the sponge and the bottom of the cartridge?

To me it looks like the cartridge is defective.

You do not need to reseal the vents with tape on the other cartridges. Just place them in the storage clips and they will be fine when you need them.

floK

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma IX6850
Thanks @PeterBJ. Indeed, the problem is with the sponge displacement, this is more visible in the attached image.
The same was the conclusion of Martin from Octoinkjet, who already sent me a replacement cartridge.
Thank you again for the useful answers!

Attachments

• IMG_5252_l.jpg
    IMG_5252_l.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 435

Latest posts