Top this if you can

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I'm not exactly a heavy-duty printer. My Pro 9000 has been unplugged for a year. I turned it on and printed a perfect nozzle check. The ink levels still read full! A magnificent printer, I would say.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
What ink do you use?

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Canon. The print count must be about 10. I make nice prints, but not very many of them. :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I'm not exactly a heavy-duty printer. My Pro 9000 has been unplugged for a year. I turned it on and printed a perfect nozzle check. The ink levels still read full! A magnificent printer, I would say.
It certainly paid off for you by only using OEM inks in this situation, I wonder would 3rd party inks have stood this test of time, anyone care to try it ?
Nice Avatar by the way @ThrillaMozilla.. :thumbsup

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880

Perhaps you mean "A magnificent NON Printer"

Can't beat the ink economy, and low paper costs.

RS

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-

As I mentioned here somewhere along the line, my 9000 MK II was offline for several years. Two? More? Fired it up, perfect nozzle check. Hey, Mr. Epson, wanna try that?

Having said that, in the spirit of full disclosure, my latest "fire up" revealed ZERO cyan nozzles firing. I tried three cleanings, nothing better. I put the head in a solution of hot 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% cleaning ammonia and a few cc's of dish detergent. Reheated the solution twice. Somewhat less than 24 hours later, I rinsed it off, flooded the inlet ports with new ink, and now all is well again.

It has occurred to me that since apparently NO nozzles were firing, it may have had more to do with electrical contacts than nozzle issues.

Based on some 15 years of Canon printer experience, I am honestly at a loss to explain that. All I know is that this is another example why I left my brief Epson experience in the dye dust.

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, ip6600D, i900D
After bragging about an i900d being on and off line for most of it's 10 year life without any signs of a clog, i came to realize that clogs are a buildup of time from using, drying and repeat until the internals of the head are coated with layers of wet and then dry ink....am i close on this?.........the last test of time was a 2 year layup to which the first few images and nozzle check displayed normal...........about a week after that though is when the trouble started and took some time to revive the old head which is still spotty.

This apprentice is absorbing the advice and info here like a sponge, and now having learned to flush and refill carts has added some common sense to the old melon in that regular use and preventive maintenance are a must regardless of what one thinks they are getting away with.

I recently scored an ip6600d for 30 bucks from a couple here in town off of craiglists that had printer in their storage for over 5 years...it's amazing how many people buy a printer, use up the ink, then let it sit forever because they realize that the replacement inks cost almost as much as the machine.........i figured the carts and the paper that was included was worth that, and it was no surprise to see all but the black cart had been sucked dry...............I installed a fresh set of refilled carts and it printed perfect.............perfect nozzle test..............2 days later and PC was showing missing lines on the nozzle check...........been soaking and rinsing the head for 2 days now.......takes little pressure from a syringe of distilled water to emit a nice nozzle spray from all but the PC port which takes an aggressive amount of pressure to get a steady stream...............when the head is dry however, i can for air with the syringe thru all the ports with equal pressure..............will try the head in a few days to see if it still works.
The carts were easily cleaned and refilled using the methods posted here on this forum and the solution by pharmacist.

and i agree with Hat on your avatar ThrillaMozilla................very eyecatching:ep

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I know a guy who uses Inktec ink that is somewhat 6 years old, and he prints very little, so that's why he's got this old ink. He lets printer idle for 3 months etc. No clogs. But he had a print head die but since he prints very little, I doubt it's ink related.