The complete refillers guide to the PGI-9 cartridge made easy.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
What about the pollutants you introduce when refilling this way? The filter is one way only, now when you refill in the opposite direction the pollutants could clog the print head.

I always fill my CLI-8 using the air hole in a vacuum. The PGI is problem because it contains a bag inside?
Where could I see come photos how PGI-9 looks dissembled?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Smile said:
What about the pollutants you introduce when refilling this way? The filter is one way only, now when you refill in the opposite direction the pollutants could clog the print head.

I always fill my CLI-8 using the air hole in a vacuum. The PGI is problem because it contains a bag inside?
Where could I see come photos how PGI-9 looks dissembled?
There are no pollutants as you call them just good quality ink used in this refilling method.:)
The CLI-8s are so different to the PGI-9 cartridge that a new way had to be found to refill them and yes there is a bag inside
which makes them unbelievably easier to refill than any other OEM cartridge, problems what problems.. :idunno

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=47354#p47354

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
And if you're sloppy and introduce some particulate matter, say some lint from a tissue or paper towel, I believe the intake is probably a stainless steel fritted filter, so no worries.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
ThrillaMozilla said:
And if you're sloppy and introduce some particulate matter, say some lint from a tissue or paper towel,
I believe the intake is probably a stainless steel fritted filter, so no worries.
There can be no contamination introduced into the cartridge at all during this refilling.
From the ink bottle to the syringe to the cartridge in just three easy steps thats all
and IF there is any mess it will stay on the outside of the cartridge unfortunately till its cleaned up.

Just an up-date there are no steel filters on these cartridges either its just a thin course synthetic outlet pad,
also commonly known on this forum as the sponge.. :)

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
The fritted filter is on the printhead inlet, not the cartridge. At least I think it's a fritted filter, based on casual examination. I'm not about to remove a cartridge to inspect it carefully. I believe this is needed, because if you got some fibers or other particulate matter on the exterior of the cartridge outlet, you would not want it to pass through the head. It's all pretty well protected, I think, unless perhaps someone is quite careless about dirt.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I just read like you do on this forum years ago that refilling through the inlet port is a mistake, you have to keep ink flowing in one direction only. Since PGI-9 is a bag cartridge why don't you seal the inlet port and refill using air hole under vacuum?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
As the cartridge empties, there is no air left inside the bag, it collapses. So if you put the cartridge under a vacuum, there is no air to expand before and after vacuum. That means that the vacuum process will not work.

The only way for the vacuum to work with this cartridge, is to re expand the bag, somehow, hold the bag expanded,, submerge the inlet in ink and then cycle the vacuum process. This is far too much work for alternative simpler processes that will work equally well, if not better.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I believe the bag has only one opening, so that's where you have to put the ink.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Smile said:
I just read like you do on this forum years ago that refilling through the inlet port is a mistake, you have to keep ink flowing in one direction only. Since PGI-9 is a bag cartridge why don't you seal the inlet port and refill using air hole under vacuum?
I used to argue this point many years ago when I was vacuum filling through the air vent on BCI type cartridges. I also was concerned that the filter in what I call the outlet port (I think it is what you are calling the inlet port) could not tolerate a high flow rate of ink. These still may be valid concerns but I've grown weary of worrying about such things and I violate my own previous recommendations, just because it's easier to fill using my Freedom method through the outlet port. Maybe some day I'll regret it.

EDIT: I guess I gave up on my concern because of the cartridge purging technique that forced water under pressure backwards up through the outlet port filter.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
When I was refilling some of my PGI-9 cartridges I have noticed a neat way to prevent the over filling of this cartridge.
While injecting the ink into your cartridge hold the cartridge so as you can clearly see the little window.

5128_large_syringe.png

When the cartridge is almost full ink will become visible between the metal plate and the cartridge window
and thats a clear sign that the bag inside is reaching its capacity,
then draw back on the plunger just a tiny bit and youll never have any spillage..:)