Test Results

wcandrews@sccoast.net

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
After gaining some valuable basic information from this forum about refilling Canon CLI-8 cartridges I have spent some weeks, a lot of paper, and ink making tests to determine how I will proceed in this refilling world. My refilling experience comes from the BCI-6 days, top filling with third party ink (WeInk, and Media Street), and third party cartridges. The new CLI-8 cartridges, with their chips, have presented a whole new set of conditions, and I thank this forum for the much needed information.

Printer: Canon Pro9000 MK II
Ink: OCP
Paper: Red River Arctic Polar Satin, and Polar Matte; and Kirkland Gloss
Profiling System: xRite i1Pro

Before I get started please believe that Im not pushing OCP ink. I dont care what ink you use, and I hope you are happy with it. OCP ink is the only ink I have and the tests were made with it.

1. I discovered the German method of refilling on this forum and find it to be the very best way to refill OEM cartridges.

There has been a lot of discussion about using tape on the refill hole to prevent leaking from that hole. By all means, if that makes you more comfortable, do it. From the very nature of the way sponges work, it shouldnt be necessary. I suspect the only way to get leakage from that hole in a cartridge in good condition is to inject ink directly into the sponge area itself.

I think it is a mistake to inject ink directly into the sponge area because it is easy to over saturate the sponge and cause it to leak from any hole. If the sponge itself wont draw the ink into the sponge, there is another problem.

2. When the first refill of an OEM cartridge is done, some decisions must be made about how to prepare the cartridge. I have tried several methods and my conclusions are as follows:

2.1 It isnt helpful, and maybe harmful, to try to purge the original cartridge with distilled water or any other purging solution.

The problem is that I doubt that the sponge ever gets dry after introducing water, etc., into the sponge. Then the new ink is diluted with the water until the new ink has completely replaced the water. My profiles have confirmed this statement. I tried that method, and the prints changed each time a print was made for a very long time.

2.2 After considering the problem from an engineering perspective, I decided that the best way to condition the original OEM cart was (1) drain it with the paper towel method, (2) fill it with the new ink (I use the German Method), then:

2.3 Drain it again with the paper towel method.

2.4 Refill it with the new ink.

2.5 I know, all the new ink in the cartridge has been dumped once. My ink costs me $0.45 per cartridge. That is a small price to pay to get the OEM cartridge to produce consistent results from the beginning. The profiles demonstrate that this system works.

Profiles
In a previous posts I have discussed how the prints with this ink and this paper change quality as they cure for three days. We have had discussions about whether to make the profile four hours after printing the profile target or wait the three days for it to cure, and I recommended four hours. We were all guessing about the correct answer, and I decided to make a final test to determine what was what.

3.1 Just to restate a known fact, the object of a printer profile is to get the print to look like the monitor display, taking into account the difference in the dynamic range of the monitor as compared to the print.

3.2 To make a sound judgement of what the different profiles produce require comparting the results on a real test print. The one I use is the best Ive seen and is shown here:

6901_colorfile.jpg

3.3 The test were made with OCP ink and Red River Polar Matte, Red River Arctic Satin, and Kirkland Signature Glossy paper.

3.4 After using a lot of paper and ink, I can say with complete confidence that I cant see any difference in making the profile with the four-hour cure and the three-day cure. That has shocked me, but thats why you make tests.

Conclusions
4.1 These tests indicate that with these three papers and OCP ink, with the good profiles from the i1Pro, the only difference in the prints is the result of the type of paper (glossy, satin, matte). They all matched the monitor display, and each other, with great accuracy. Pick the paper you want, make a good profile and go.

4.2 I was shocked at how good the Red River Polar Matte paper looked. I have not been a fan of matte paper for anything except greeting cards, but this paper with this ink will be used with my display photos until something better comes along.

Good Luck!
Wil

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Wil, thanks for providing your test results. You've obviously put in a lot of time, effort, and expense. I look forward to replies from forum members with much more refilling / printing experience than myself on some of your possibly controversial comments.

I decided that the best way to condition the original OEM cart was (1) drain it with the paper towel method ...
Do I read this that you are draining the original Canon oem ink out of the cart without using it? I suppose this practice would contribute to getting maximum consistency.

Something that might be helpful to me (and perhaps others) is providing an assessment of the print quality you are trying to achieve, including print size. My speculation is that your objective is very high print quality on larger print paper ... near or actual exhibition quality. Who is your audience? Do you sell prints?

wcandrews@sccoast.net

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
1. You must decide if you want the best results possible or not.

2. If you do, and decide to use third party ink and OEM cartridges, you must discard the ink in the OEM cartridge. If you do otherwise, your results will be different each time you replace an individual OEM cart ink with the third party ink and while the old OEM ink in a particular cartridge is being replaced with the new third party ink -- I have the results to prove it. No two inks produce the same result and a custom profile is required for each printer/ink/paper combination. Canned profiles don't get the job done. If you don't care about the quality, then just don't do anything except refill the OEM carts.

3. I require good, reproducible results in every printing situation where the results are consistent and reproducible.

I don't expect favorable comment on this thread, but this is my pay back for the information I have gained. This could be my last post.

Good Luck!
Wil

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Gday Wil
I'm new here & I've just started to use my pro 9000mk2 & found your test very informative, thank you. Just to clarify the point about using the same brand of ink in all 8 cartridges, if I just filled one cartridge with OCP (or any other brand) ink the other seven still being Canon inks would the resulting print look good to a layman or do the colours look quite strange?
The main reason I'm asking is being retired I have to watch the costs & assuming one OEM ink will empty at a time my choices are to either replace that colour with an OEM cart until most of the OEM inks are low enough to take out ready for refilled carts or fill the first depleted cart with OCP ink repeating this as all the carts empty out.
I don't mind having to test print to get a good result but if the colours are way off then there's no point.
Thanks mate.
Regards Rod

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Wil, thanks for a most intelligent and well done response. We both use the OCP inks and the same paper arsenal plus others. I believe we have shared posts previously here and on dpreview.

I am presently using the Colormunki for my profiling, having sent my Spyder3's back to their web. I would appreciate it if we could share paper profiles; I am quite curios to see how paper profiles migrate from printer to printer using the same or different profiling devices.

Your comments about curing time re-energized my Munki questions. xRite indicates that a 10 minute cure time is sufficient before reading the test patterns, I and many others have disagreed with their technocrats and requested the program be modified so that the test scans can be done in a manner that the customers chooses. I would like to print out the test pattern on several different papers at one time, come back at a later time and read them. But their prgm structure does permit this standard profiling approach. I feel that they are afraid of the Munki's success, even under these restrictive conditions, and do not want to imbalance their sales structure.

Again, many thanks for your post. I am glad to read confirmation about the visual image changes versus drying,curing time for our 'parallel setup'.

irv weiner

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Rodbam, I have gone down that path with my Canon i9900 and Pro 9000. When I switched to OCP ink several years back, I simply refilled each OEM cart as they emptied and replaced them. I did not get any bizarre eruption of colors, however, I did immediately run a new print profile and continued do so after swapping each cart.

I must address the importance of TLC for your carts--do so and they will last longer than your printhead!!

good luck irv weiner

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Thanks Irv, that is great news as I think I can put up with some small colour differences or whatever so I can maximise the inks I already have installed. When you say you "run a new profile" is that like doing a test print & adjusting the colours etc & then saving that as a profile? I've only used the Canon profiles so far that came with the printer & am unsure how I create my own profile. Looks like I have more Googling to do:)
Thanks again.
Regards Rod

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Rodbam, not quite, but what you said will work. I use the Colormunki to profile my monitor and printer. Your being in the land of Oz and those astronomical prices, I suggest to check around for local camera clubs or friends with profiling devices and bring over a few beers with your printer............

If you have friends using the Spyder print profiler, copy one or two of the target test charts, print it on your printer (remember NO color correction !!). Now bring your printed test charts and a few beers to them and finish the profile calcs and generation of a printer profile. Copy the new profile to a CD or memory stick and insert the profile into the proper directory space on your computer.

Bottom line, if your touchup system works for you stick with it, I did the same years back.

good luck irv weiner

Dont hesitate to contact me off list for more help

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Is it me or am I missing something here for such perfectionists, all going on about much of nothing?
The test print that wcandrews@sccoast.net posted is, how do I put it not good.
Theres banding in most of the colours and the greyscale step wedge on the bottom is so far off its laughable.
I do think its back to the drawing board, litterly.
Sorry but someone had to say it..:(

RogerB

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro3880
The Hat said:
Is it me or am I missing something here for such perfectionists, all going on about much of nothing?
The test print that wcandrews@sccoast.net posted is, how do I put it not good.
Theres banding in most of the colours and the greyscale step wedge on the bottom is so far off its laughable.
I do think its back to the drawing board, litterly.
Sorry but someone had to say it..:(
Just for clarification, and in case other forum members don't share your sense of humour - this is a joke isn't it? The only "problems" I can see are JPEG artefacts, so I assume this is a compressed version of the original file.

Wil, I think your post could be very useful to many people. I hope your set-up gives you acres of trouble-free, quality prints.