Resetting a Canon MP490 following ink refill

smootdawg

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. First, I love this board and all the innovative posters. You really do a great service, so thank you much in advance.

I have both an MP800 and MP490, and I just refilled the MP490 with Hobbicolor refills (which look great). I was curious if there was a way to reset the ink level in the cartridges, a PG-210 and CL-211. Can this be done on the printer itself, or is a chip resetter required? For me, I don't really need it, but the wife does like looking at the ink levels and letting her IT guy--me--know its time for a change/refill.

Thanks again, everyone, for the assistance.

sllowmail

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
U need a resetter to do so. You may be able to find it from the Nets.

IanYY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
@smootdawg
It seems no chip resetters are available for 210/211 cartridges, and there are no other methods of resetting the ink level indicators to show full. Love to be proven wrong, but that's the way it is.

I assume you are happy with your refill technique and you haven't had any problems pressing the buttons to override the various "ink out" messages. If not, just ask.

But just to stick my pennyworth in ...
210/211 carts are similar to 40/41 carts, and I have been refilling 40/41s using this system ... http://www.kingkahler.com/CL41instructions.html ... removing the cartridge top and injecting directly into the sponge. Most instructions on the net will advise drilling holes in the top, sealing with tape, and then making new airholes in the tape. But the top-off method gives much greater control (visibility) over what you are doing. Unlike the linked kingkahler instructions, I use a heavy-duty rubber band (no glue required) to hold the lid on the cart after refilling.

Ian

sllowmail

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I hv a IP 1880 printer using 40/41 carts. I hv successfully using IPTOOL Canon to reset the carts. No harm giving it a try.