Replacement Printer

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
I am well out of date regarding the current Canon range and in particular cartridge types. What if any can be refilled/reset. This is to replace the Pixma MP620 just died with error codes nothing I did but still got a good print head I can sell to off to off set cost. or sell all for spares, but postage costs put most people off.

Looking for similar quality but do not print that many photos these days. Not stuck on Canon but have a new set of 520 inks to use up. I noticed one of our oldest/respected members has switched to Epson.

Any suggestions welcomed.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I noticed one of our oldest/respected members has switched to Epson.
No, I still only use Canon. :idunno :D

Don't have a recommendation except:

1) Look on Craigslist for potential older models still in good running condition. Who knows, you might find one to use all your MP620 inks.

2) If you are going to refill then index your purchase with what Octoinkjet, or Precision Colors, has all your refilling needs. For instance, the All-In-One Canon MG6320 is not listed on Octoinkjet but is listed on Precision Colors. I don't know if that is a model numbering issue -- Europe versus North America -- but Precision Colors has inks and aftermarket cartridges with ARC chips that are newfangled functioning (do not auto reset on power off!)

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
I am not the oldest or most respected member here, but after having bought a Canon I went back to Epson again.
The Canon is still used next to the Epson, I didn't transfer it into a flower pot. But to my taste Epson is better.

If you are happy with Canon, why change? The newest Canons still allow the user to switch off the cartridge chip and print on without ink count. That means you can print without the need of a resetter.
Just fill all cartridges when one of them is empty.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@The Hat

While you may have a dog year on me in age, I didn't think you had any Epsons either.

My first inkjet printer was an Epson R200. I gave it to my brother still new in the box. Then I got a big boy printer - Canon. :p

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Yep, I had two Epson Stylus printers a long time ago, and like you I went onto big boys’ school and graduated to Canon and got hooked.:cool:

I started with a couple of dot matrix printers in the eighties and then got my first inkjets, a Lexmark, Xerox and Hp before my Epson days; I am now imagining what a 3880 would do for me.. o_O
P.S. I still got two dogs..:thumbsup

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I was a fan of Canon printers but with the latest cartridges full of boobytraps (chips that tear off, when removed or secret pass ways that cause the cartridge to leak, when trying to refill). The only Canon printer I would buy are the Pro-10 and Pro-100 now. Now even Epson is becoming more and more tricky (e.g. XP series).

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Besides a dot matrix my brother owned, I have always had a laser printer. Inkjet stuff is relatively new to me. On purpose.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
secret pass ways that cause the cartridge to leak, when trying to refill).
That does not sound good. Can you provide more detail on these Canon countermeasures please?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000

Latest posts