Replace all cartridges at the same time when switching to refillables? (PGI-550/CLI-551)

Vorkolor

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250
Hello,

My printer is a Canon Pixma MG6650, which takes PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridges. After the "setup" cartridges that came with the printer were emptied I used Peach compatibles, which worked fine, but I'd like to try refilling for even greater savings. So I ordered ink from Octoink, and refillable cartridges (non-OEM, ARC) from another source. The manual that came with the carts said I had to replace all the cartridges at the same time, and they wouldn't work if mixed with other types.

Is this really necessary? Are there refillables without this requirement?

I would prefer not to throw away my reserve Peach cartridges, and the ink levels of the carts in the printer are completely out of sync so I'd also have to throw out half-full or nearly full cartridges.

Of course, I could drill holes in the old cartridges and extract the ink, and hope it mixes well with the Oktoink stuff…

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi @Vorkolor and welcome, there is no way of knowing which type of compatible cart you purchased, so could you post the link to where you bought them from, that might help..

Vorkolor

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250
I bought the cartridges here: http://www.blekkskriveren.no/epages...Path=/Shops/Blekkskriveren/Products/LNK550551

There are no manufacturer marks or serial numbers that I can see. There's a logo for Sensient on the included instructions. Sensient is the supplier of this shop's refill inks.

Here are some photos of them:
http://imgur.com/a/jwZuT
dxKsYdr.jpg
hkSkWml.jpg
hyauoBT.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@Vorkolor, There are many types of refillable 551 carts out there and it looks like you have gotten the ones that only work as a set and you have to check the ink levels visually before commencing any printing, it might also be better to extract the peach ink from their carts and use it in this new set..

Vorkolor

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250
Do refillable cartridges which can be replaced one by one exist? Do you know where I could get them?

floK

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma IX6850
Hi everybody,
I've just joined this forum to discuss the same problem.
I have met this warning - that the refillable ARC cartridges must be installed all at the same time and not to be combined with the original ones - on several ink vendors/producers sites (e.g. here - if not german, you can use the translation feature of the browser).
I have also asked on Octoink, where Martin gave me this answer:
As a rule we recommend replacing all the cartridges and using the entire set together [...] Refillable cartridges don't always require the full set to be installed so that they can monitor ink properly. That used to be the case in some earlier chip types (many years ago) but nowadays the only reason to install all chips of the same type is simply when a compatible set doesn't want to play nice with the original chips.
So, there is a risk to "not play nice". But what this really means?! Could this issue damage the printer? And how seriously?
If it's just about the chips incompatibility - that could confuse the printer sensors, as it is very well explained here - I don't think to be too serious, as the software problems have allways solutions (or not?).
But my concern is that it could be about the inks incompatibility, that could cause undesired reactions and lead to printheads damage - and this would be really serious!
So, could anyone explain exactly what is happening when combining refillable cartridges with original/compatible ones?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi @floK and welcome, firstly putting two different types of chipped cartridge into your printer WONT damage anything, if they are seen as incompatible they simply just won’t work. (Not play nice)

The chips on a cartridge can’t confuse the sensor because it’s only a led light that relates the information back to the EPROM, and if an inconsistency is detected then you get a warning error.

Neader the cartridge, the chip, the print head or the printer can tell which type or colour ink you have installed in any one of your cartridges and the only ink that can actually damage your print head is incompatible cheap universal ink.

The older type ARC chips worked with OEM chips but the newer type ARC chips don’t, because they must be fitted as a set to function properly and will only reset when declared empty by the printer and at that point can be refilled.

These type of ARC chips should never be fitted to OEM cartridges because they will cause poor ink flow to occur after only several refills, and OEM refilled cartridges should never be run till empty.

Vorkolor

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250
The ARC cartridges say to refill when the printer says they're empty, because that's the only time they'll reset. But Precision Colors recommends refilling when the printer warns that the ink level is low, otherwise you'll get foam in the sponge and problems with ink flow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lioycomsMkQ (around 06.50). Tricky. Would it help to re-prime the cartridge as shown in Octoink's video at http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/Canon-550%2d551-Refillable-cartridge-set.html when refilling an empty refillable? Or is priming only possible with a clean, dry sponge?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
It would seem you are getting a little bit confused by two different opinions, because believe it or not they are both correct but for two different types of cartridges.

The ARC fitted refillable cartridges should only be refilled when the printer indicate they are empty, BUT the other advice not to use the cartridge beyond low ink warning is specifically for OEM cartridges which uses a redsetter, not ARC's

Latest posts