R2400 turning itself off before printing

alsetn

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Like many using this printer I have microbanding. I did the cleaning cycles, even removed the print head and soaked it overnight.
Replaced it, refilled the inks, and did 2 'acceptable' prints, 1 color 1 b&w, still had the banding, even printing with QuadToneRip 1440 super, unidirectional.
Then went to do a head alignment. The head goes back and forth and on the final left the printer turns off. Does it every time now even after restarting the computer, deleting and reinstalling the driver. It says it's a commujnication error.
I checked and replaced the USB plug. Pulled one cart out and put back in. It recognizes the inks during the setup. It won't even do a nozzle check, turns itself off.

anyone recognize this glitch?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Common. reassemble the printer and look at the power switch assembly carefully for fitment. The outer panel switch is keeping the microswitch beneath partially depressed causing intermittent power cuts.

alsetn

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks mikling but that switch cover and assy have been untouched throughout my printing.
It turns off at exactly the same head position about an inch from the left most excursion at the end of its getting-ready-to-print dance,
lid open or closed.

Weird ;-(

Dan

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Does it turn itself back on? after it turns off?

Also where is the microbanding? is it at the trailing edge of a print near end of paper?

alsetn

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The printer shuts off with the power button still depressed in the on position. I must either reset it or unplug/replug the power to restart.

Here are some shots of the banding- All on Epson S041069 Matt paper. It shows up in areas of thin pigment.
On glossy there is very little evidence of banding.

http://proto.dangyro.com/banding.jpg

alsetn

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, it occurs all the way from top to bottom of the page.
Printing from any program.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Perfect nozzle checks right?
What I find weird is that the microbanding is not perfectly even throughout the printout. I seems to vary.

alsetn

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The test pattern made after the big soak showed a marked improvement, ~99% clear. Compared to precleaning, that 1% would not show such blatant banding.

OTOH, Epson makes a good case for head misalignment causing such banding.
Now if only this dangerously-close-to-doorstop-status printer would let me DO a head alignment.

Dan

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
If it must be repowered to restart, it is possibly a doorstop but first try this to see if it is related to the power button. Take some cardboard or paper and stuff it between the space on the side of the power button so that when it is on, the button will not move with any vibration from the printer. It the problem goes away, you've found your problem. If the problem remains, then the error is possibly related to the ribbon connector on the printhead assembly somewhere. If there is intermittent contact there, it possibly could cause the printer to get confused when a channel loses contact and shut down. It may even be related to the banding issue. Never can tell.

The R1800 I beleive uses the identical power supply, so you might even find a donor printer somewhere.

alsetn

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
No luck. Tried everything. Had Epson walk me through tests over the phone, they think it's some board problem or ribbon cable break.

Can anyone point me to an online repair manual showing disassembly drawings? I'm good at that stuff (and have the time).

thanks,
Dan

Latest posts