Q re, replace ink absorber waste pads or reset and keep printing

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
Q re whether to replace ink absorber waste pads or reset and keep printing....

i just pulled an eeprom report from my MP830:
- 88% waste pad usage (D=088.5)
- 37,800 pages printed (TPAGE=37800)

i have a new set of waste absorber pads, but looks like they are a pain to replace.

have heard that others have just reset the printer w/o replacing the pads and been fine until next "waste pad full" message.

any thoughts re replacing the pads or fly blind ?

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870, MP980
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors ink, PMT-BK, UW8
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
When a tube came off the back of the purge unit on my i865 I was forced to pull that printer apart to repair it.
While I was at it I decided to replace the waste pads but I washed mine instead and put them back clean and dry.

The printer had only done 12500 sheets and the pads were heavily soiled but not overly (50% approx)
if that is any help to you to decide about your own.

I will have to agree with you, that pulling the printer apart is a pain in the ass but in most cases
especially mine it was essential and maybe in your case also.

I once lost a very good printer, due to heavily soiled waste pads when it was transported in a box upside down
which destroyed all of the electrical components inside it..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
@ jimbo123

Some claim that you can reset the absorber counter just once without changing the absorbers and get away with it, but I wouldn't dare do that, I would change or clean the absorbers.

I think that the service manual and parts catalog would be useful when taking the printer apart. In case you don't already have them, links are here: http://www.wraithtdk.com/filedump/MP830/Canon PIXMA MP830 Service Manual.pdf and here: http://www.wraithtdk.com/filedump/MP830/Canon PIXMA MP830 Parts Catalog.pdf

@ The Hat

Could you please give some details about how you cleaned the absorbers, like hot or cold water, detergents used , washing by hand or washing machine or just purging them using a hose etc. It would be nice to know as new absorbers might be difficult to find.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
much thx for the advice and the links to the PDFs. i had the service manual but not the parts manual, so thx.

my last MP830 had a logic board error and died at 85%, so never had to deal with hitting the 100% wall. since it was shot, for fun i did try to take it apart, of course without using a manual.... mangled it up pretty good, never got to the pads.....

as a waste pad leak precaution i took a large plastic storage container lid, flipped it upside down and have my MP830 sitting on/in it.

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870, MP980
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors ink, PMT-BK, UW8
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
PeterBJ said:
@ The Hat

Could you please give some details about how you cleaned the absorbers, like hot or cold water, detergents used , washing by hand or washing machine or just purging them using a hose etc. It would be nice to know as new absorbers might be difficult to find.
To wash the waste pads on my Canon printer I placed them into a plastic bowl containing very warm water
with a couple of squirts of fairy washing up liquid and left them to stand for 10 minutes,
I should say I used rubber gloves to keep my hands clean. (Messy job)

I just squeezed the water out of them a couple of times and then ran them under a tap of cold water
till the water started to become reasonably clean.

Then I laid them flat inside a newspaper and sat on them, I had to use three newspapers to get them fairly dry but not fully.
I found it easier to get them back into the printer if they were not quite dry as they starched easier into place.

When I got them back in the bottom of the printer I placed another folded newspaper on top of them
and used a brick to hold it down long enough to fully dry the rest of the pads.

Had to sit on a radiator for a couple of minutes to dry my butt.. :)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thank you very much for the info :D

On druckerchannel.de forum I have seen the idea of using a washing machine at 60 C or 140 F, but I suspect that this could cause the absorbers to shrink, so I think your more gentle way is preferable. Also I live in an apartment block with a laundry for the tenants in the cellar. I'm not sure the next user of the washing machine would welcome ink residues in the machine.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes I could imagine all your tenants with their white shirts coming out black.. :hide

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
You can also speed-dry the absorber pads by repeatedly heating them in a microwave oven (with a cup of water inside as well to prevent damaging the magnetron tube), then taking them out to cool and dry.

Wayne