Proper way to dispose ink?

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
I have a septic tank, btw. I've already put quite a bit of the residue from each refill into it.
If I don't have to worry about the environment or the health of my septic system, I'd just pour the lot down the drain, rinse the bottles in the dishwasher and chuck 'em in the recycling.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I live with a septic system, too. I avoid high ink loads down the drain. I pour any wastes into a dedicated drying pan (disposable aluminum cook pans) lined with paper. Then toss the pan when it gets disgusting.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Does anybody know how poisonous or harmful inkjet ink really is?
Other sorts of paint may have certain warnings or "red flags" on the label.
Normal water based ink don't have this - because it's harmless..??

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It’s not harmless but compared to what comes out of a washing machine or dish washer then it’s relatively mild.. :eek:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
It’s not harmless but compared to what comes out of a washing machine or dish washer then it’s relatively mild.. :eek:
Or what goes into the septic tank. :sick

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Not that I'm an expert on septic tank systems but if you have one of those bio-digester types with "friendly" bacteria that breaks everything down then you won't want to be chucking ink down the pipes.

As a rule we've been told that bottling the waste up and throwing it out with general waste is preferable to dumping it down the sink or drains due to the way that waste water is processed or rather isn't. It's probably a minor issue given that it's desktop inks but still...

nrdlnd

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
I'm taking all things like this to the waste depot as there may be chemicals in the ink that's harmful for the environment. I don't think you should pour things like this in the drains as they may harm the biological cleaning in the communes purifier (I don't know if this is the correct name in English but I hope you understand what I mean). We also separate food waste, paper, plastic, metal etc. for recycling. I guess most of you do the same!
Per

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@nrdlnd, believes you should only leave a footprint after you’ve gone..
And rightly so..:thumbsup

nrdlnd

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
@nrdlnd, believes you should only leave a footprint after you’ve gone..
And rightly so..:thumbsup

Sure but I will take a photo of it and print it on canvas with the correct profile. :old

Inkboy

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 8610
Most water based inks are non toxic, non flammable, and non hazardous but the last place you want to dump them is down the drain... it's best you turn all waste ink into a solid if possible. One way you can due this is with potato starch... Example: the old Iris Plotters contained a plastic bottle/waste bin for the negative discharged ink. These bottles contained pouches of potato starch which could be disposed as a solid directly into the trash...