Printer iP address

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250 and MG5350,
Apologies if this has already been answered. I have a Canon iP7250. I want to use it wirelessly and to do that I need its iP address. to get that, you hold the button and allow it to flash six times, release and the network configurations are then printed. Just one problem for me. The large black ink tank does not work (I've been through all the malarkey of stripping it, cleaning it and so on) so I'm using the printer in colour mode. Problem is that when you ask for the network details, it prints them using the big black cartridge. so I just get a blank sheet of paper. So, two questions:
1 - Is there any way of persuading the printer to print the network info using the colour mode
2 - Is there any other way I can obtain the printer's iP address.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
One of the ways I use to print out test sheets in colour mode is to set the printer to matte paper as default in the Devices and Printers panel and click on apply, that works for me.

I don’t have a clue about the IP address because I don’t use Wi-Fi..

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for your prompt reply. Unfortunately, I'm not able to set preferences because the printer network information sheet is printed out automatically after you've released the button following the six flashes. My printer is set by default to print in colour mode, that is, not using the big black cartridge. But it is clear that when the printer prints out the network information sheet, it uses black and white option, using the big black cartridge, which, on my printer, doesn't function.

Thanks anyway. I'll stick to the wired system!

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
I think you mean the printer's MAC address? The IP address is assigned by your network when the printer connects. So there's no IP address rhat comes with the printer out of the box. The MAC address is a property of your printer's network adapter and is fixed.

Some routers use MAC address filtering, meaning that they only allow devices on the network whose MAC address has been enabled in the router. For this you need the printer's MAC address and enter it in the router.

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
The set-up instructions specifically ask for the printer's iP address:

Screen Shot 2016-02-14 at 03.41.jpg

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
Do you have a Mac or windows?

And are you installing by using the WPS option or the default installation?

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
I have an iMac running El Capitan and up-to-date. I'm using Canon's own network set-up tool. My router does not have a WPS button.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
1) Buy a black cartridge and be done.

2) I am not sure whether you understood The Hat's suggestion to set the printer to Matte Paper mode - which then bypasses the pigment black ink cartridge when printing, thereby forcing the printer to use all the dye ink colors to make black - or if setting the printer to Matte Paper will still not force the use of dye ink colors when printing out the network info.

3) A Google search on "el capitan find printer IP" brings up a number of potentially helpful links. It appears others have had issues as well with El Capitan.

4) If you haven't yet tried it, uninstall/remove the printer from your list of devices, reboot, and try again. I work with Windows but not Mac, so my suggestions may not translate. :idunno

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'm sorry - I'm not making myself very clear.
1. The printer won't print from the big black cartridge because the head is blocked.
2. It is not possible to set the printer to colour mode when printing out the iP address using the six flashes system because the printer automatically defaults to black and white - using the big black tank.

However, stratman, you are a genius. I followed your link to iP issues in el Capitan and came up with a tool called Bonjour Browser. This lists all connected devices with their protocols. Sure enough, there is my printer iP address!

Many thanks to all of you who made suggestions.

Latest posts