Print Head Alignment

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
How often should you run a print Head Alignment on the average Canon printer?
Because I have noticed a shift in it on some of my printers only after 3 months.

The CISS printers dont seem to be affected as much as the printers with cartridges.
Anyone printing and changing cartridges a lot should keep an eye on it as it should ultimately affect high quality Photo prints.

I worked under the assumption that if I didnt remove the print head then an alignment would not be necessary but thats not so, does anybody have any ideas on why it should get misaligned after setting it so quickly.. :(

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Another interesting topic for which I have never seen any official or observational data on.

Are certain printers more prone to drift regardless of ink delivery system?

One would think that Canon would recommend scheduled alignments if this were a common enough issue since refillers and OEM cartridge buyers perform the same actions - taking out old empty cartridges and replacing them with filled cartridges.

Could there be a factor of printer use, specifically high usage like you do, which accelerates or creates this issue?

Since I have done several print head alignments over the years for various reasons, and I am not as much a power user as you, maybe I have not noticed this problem.

Looking at the MP830's Service Manual, print head alignments are recommended when first setting up the new printer, color hue is incorrect, after replacement of the logic board, after replacement of the carriage unit, after replacement of the timing slit strip film, after replacement of the print head (which I would think would include anytime you take out the print head and put the same one back in), and uneven printing at the trailing edge of paper (due to low temperature, low humidity environment).

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
The first thing that comes to mind is wear on the carriage mechanism, or maybe large temperature differences in the area where the printer is located, making the minute changes that could affect the alignment.

Interesting to speculate, because given the tiny size of the nozzles it would not take too much of a shift mechanically to affect the alignment.

Now I feel a printer alignment test coming on :/

Why can't I just accept it prints and leave it that, maybe go do something more productive like gardening :lol:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
stratman One would think that Canon would recommend scheduled alignments if this were a common enough issue since refillers and OEM cartridge buyers perform the same actions - taking out old empty cartridges and replacing them with filled cartridges.
I wonder why they dont. :idunno
Redbrickman Interesting to speculate, because given the tiny size of the nozzles it would not take too much of a shift mechanically to affect the alignment.
I taught that too because the print head is just one piece and what effect one nozzle should effect all.
Why can't I just accept it prints and leave it that, maybe go do something more productive like gardening
If only gardening was just that one mouse click away.. Ah Heaven.:bow

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
The Hat said:
stratman One would think that Canon would recommend scheduled alignments if this were a common enough issue since refillers and OEM cartridge buyers perform the same actions - taking out old empty cartridges and replacing them with filled cartridges.
I wonder why they dont. :idunno
Redbrickman Interesting to speculate, because given the tiny size of the nozzles it would not take too much of a shift mechanically to affect the alignment.
I taught that too because the print head is just one piece and what effect one nozzle should effect all.
Why can't I just accept it prints and leave it that, maybe go do something more productive like gardening
If only gardening was just that one mouse click away.. Ah Heaven.:bow
It is Hat ....

Just click once and click again (OK that's two mouse clicks) :lol:

http://www.geffrye-museum.org.uk/kidszone/garden/

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Sheep can be a lot more useful than just keeping the grass down a:)
The only checks I've done so far is to do a nozzle check everytime I change the cartridges. I've read that a head clean should be done too, does a head clean print onto paper or does it dump ink onto the waste ink pads?
I wonder if a head alignment should be done as a maintenance or only when problems are seen in the printouts. My printer is about 3 months old but wouldn't have done a fraction of what you print out in your business.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
A head clean does not use paper, the printer sucks on the bottom of the print head while firing the nozzles. The ink goes into the absorbant pads that you cannot see but are enclosed along the bottom of the printer.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
rodbam said:
The only checks I've done so far is to do a nozzle check everytime I change the cartridges. I've read that a head clean should be done too, does a head clean print onto paper or does it dump ink onto the waste ink pads?
A print head cleaning does NOT need to be done unless there are certain problems printing. Do not do this cleaning willy-nilly or you will speed up the process of filling up your waste pads and may decrease the life span of your print head.

I wonder if a head alignment should be done as a maintenance or only when problems are seen in the printouts. My printer is about 3 months old but wouldn't have done a fraction of what you print out in your business.
Another NO as a maintenance operation. Do print head alignments based on the recommendation of your printer's service manual, or, if you don't have one, base it on what I posted above. If you find your printouts looking shabby as The Hat speaks of, then an alignment may help for specific situations. Otherwise, don't fix what isn't broken or you may eventually end up creating problems for yourself.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Thanks GH & Stratman. I see no problems with my prints so I will leave well enough alone.