PhotoShop versions

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I am currently using PS Elements 8, a free copy supplied with the Canon 9000 II printer. It does most things I require, but with CS 6, the last non cloud version coming to the end of its life, I was wondering if I'm missing something. What do the users of CS find useful, that I can't do at the moment, is it worth the £400?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I use CS 4 on my Mac and CS 5 on the PC and I am very happy with them both, I tried CS6 but was not impressed enough to continue using it, so I’m staying with CS 4 & CS 5, the cloud can have the aeroplanes..

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
If you are looking to update your version of PH or LR going with the cloud is not only the cheapest way but the smart way. Let me give you my way of looking at this situation, Before PS CC if you wanted to buy the whole version of CS6 you have to cough up almost $700 (I believe it was $999 for the Extended Version) to get it and another $150 for LR. Don't forget that updates were $199 for PS & $89.00 for LR. So with the cloud you get PS CC & LR for $9.99+ tax a month roughly $128.28 a year, so that is less than buying the full version of LR5. I also like that you get 20 GB of storage with your subscription. I have been using the cloud for almost 6 months and I love it.
Tito

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
I started out with PSE, but now I have both PS, and Lightroom in the Cloud. With PS 4 active on this MacBook Pro and PS5 on the bigPC. Also have, 3,4 and 5 still active, plus ALL LR's I do not use Cloud storage at all, and pay a subscription.

Prior to CC I was very lucky to be able to access Adobe products via Student pricing.

I don't think Adobe products are worth the cost to Photographers as we tend to use such a tiny portion of its capabilities.

Having said that it is not quite true for me now. As my PS/LR skills have grown I find I do heaps in LAYERS, and have recently discovered a dodge and burn that is awesome. The masking, blends and other tools extend the possibilities. And for me that is where its value lies. Its not so much about looking at what you get in each new iteration, but what you can do with the new features in combination with existing oldies.

Lr does 100% of what I need for 80% of the images I shoot. The remaining NEED LR + PS, Topaz, Nik, Bigano, PtGui, and other applications to get where i envisage. If I had days to process and get an image to print it may be another story. Way I work I need to get in the mood, stay in there and get the work done whilst it is flowing. Images I quit part way almost never (for me) end up where I thought I wanted them.

So for me, the answer is YES! otherwise the rest of the gear that I have spent MAGABUCKS on (relative to available discretion disposable funds) is not going to keep up the return on investment for me.
The investment of 400 quid is an eye watering proposition, thus needs a whole lot of justification, thats why I switched to the dark side and subscribed. PS was going to cost more than I could justify to keep up.

Hope this is helpful

Last edited:

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
I started with PS7 and upgraded to CS2==>CS4==>CS6. If your typical workflow consists of a "levels" or "curves" adjustment, crop and then print, you don't need the newer versions.

OTOH, CS6 allows editing of videos, if that is of any interest to you. Do you ever work with 16 bit images? Then you need one of the newer versions. Each upgrade added numerous enhancements that most people aren't aware of, and probably would never use even if they were. The enhancement that I appreciate the most in CS6 is the 2012 Adobe Camera Raw processor for processing RAW images. In fairness, you can do most of the things that ACR does with older PS versions, but ACR allows you to optimize your shots in seconds instead of many minutes. I don't use LR, but I understand that it uses the same engine as ACR.

If you make your living using PS, you can't afford not to have the latest version because of the time saving features. However, you will have to spend a lot of time learning what it has to offer and how to use it to gain the benefits. There are so many changes when upgrading from Elements 8 to CC that it would almost be like starting over. To give an idea, I spent over 80 hours reading and experimenting when I upgraded from CS4 to CS6.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I am currently using PS Elements 8, a free copy supplied with the Canon 9000 II printer. It does most things I require, but with CS 6, the last non cloud version coming to the end of its life, I was wondering if I'm missing something. What do the users of CS find useful, that I can't do at the moment, is it worth the £400?

Generally speaking it depends on your post processing needs.

If you need it to achieve your objectives in a timely manner, you will be aware of the need.

If you have to ask the question, "Do I need an updated version of PS, and why?" Then you probably DON'T need it.

I do not consider Adobe my friend, but they do provide limited time free trials of all their products so why not "try before you buy".

RS

Later edit: Are you sure CS6 is at end of life status? I was pretty sure the CS6 license was " in perpetuity". Of course no upgrades will be forthcoming.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I managed to got the Master Collection of CS 4 and it cost almost €3000 (Megabucks), ok there’s lots to it which I never use but when a company offers it to you for 10% of its cost then you don’t bite the hand, I just did a bit of in-house work for them.

This collection contains In Design, Photoshop extended, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro, Flash Professional, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Contribute, After Effects, Premiere Pro, Sound booth, On Location, Encore, Bridge, Device Central, Dynamic Link, and Version Cue.

I didn’t think I’d need much more after getting that lot I can tell you, so now I only use Adobe software and it’s easy to see why.. :hugs

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I managed to got the Master Collection of CS 4 and it cost almost €3000 (Megabucks), ok there’s lots to it which I never use but when a company offers it to you for 10% of its cost then you don’t bite the hand, I just did a bit of in-house work for them.
So you finally caught the leprechaun and took his pot of Adobe gold. Well done! :clap

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I have read and re-read these contributions and I think they give an excellent insight into the various angles of approach and issues, thanks to all.

I think Grandad35's comment "I spent over 80 hours reading and experimenting" is a good indication of what may lie ahead at each step. Now I just have to make up my mind.:rolleyes: