PGI 250 & CLI 251 - suggest cartridges and bulk ink

RLamparter

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5420
Thanks for the link. It looks like the poor aftermarket cartridges hinge the shield at the same point the opaque OEM Canon cartridges do, so some manufacturers just copied the Canon cartridge. It looks like the better cartridges have longer shields that hinge farther back at the ink tank. For anyone who doesn't buy from Precision Colors and experiments with ebay cartridges, that's something to look for. This link from eBay shows the longer shields, but at a price higher than from Precision Colors:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Refillable-...96?pt=US_Ink_Refills_Kits&hash=item5663a6f730

Here's another one for $26 with shipping: http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-CANON-M...4657?pt=US_Ink_Cartridges&hash=item2c7e9af1b1

DandyDave

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MX 882 MX 892
I have always read that Canon cartridges are superior to any aftermarket cartridge. Would it be better to put the automatic resetting chips on a Canon cartridge?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
That has always been the case untill now, this is the first exception to that rule and besides the chip won’t fit either because Canon have really done their homework this time..:he

DandyDave

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MX 882 MX 892
Thank you for the information. Is there a discussion on this site about the new chips? Another question, is this the same forum that was on Nifty Stuff? I had used that for a number of years but my login would not work here.
The reason I am looking at new printers is that my ip4200 and ip3500 (brought over from my office to replace it) quit working in the same week.
I have been refilling since 1995 but didn’t get a Canon printer until doing research on-line. I found a lot of good information on the afore-mentioned site and got my first Canon probably six years ago.

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
Thank you for the information. Is there a discussion on this site about the new chips? Another question, is this the same forum that was on Nifty Stuff? I had used that for a number of years but my login would not work here.
The reason I am looking at new printers is that my ip4200 and ip3500 (brought over from my office to replace it) quit working in the same week.
I have been refilling since 1995 but didn’t get a Canon printer until doing research on-line. I found a lot of good information on the afore-mentioned site and got my first Canon probably six years ago.
Same site Same people

Swansontx

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip8720
Regarding CLI-251 , CLI251 .
I have the Canon pixma8720 - (excellent prosumer printer). Purchased the refillable cartridges from Precision colors. Refilled all carts. M,Y,GY,BK all worked (lit up). However two C carts (called Precision Color and he sent second C cart) and PGBK don't work...C will actually light up when inserted, but light goes out when close the lid. PGBK cart doesn't even light up when inserted. then ordered chips for all colors from 123..something something( not sure which). Replaced the chip on the Precision color cyan with new chip - still didn't work. Anyone have the same problem with any chips, particularly cyan or PGBK??
Anyone have no problem with cyan or PGBK?
Solutions? OEM cyan and PGBK? what about continuous ink system? Still need a chip that works for that i assume?
Print Lurker: you said there may be a resetter for these chips?? where?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have the iP7250 which uses 551/550 refillable carts and have had no problems with any of the ARC chips on these, my chips are second edition issue because the earlier ones had some problems with resetting.

A CISS on your printer won’t work successfully, so don’t even think about going there, it’s a non starter full stop despite what the seller may say.

There are no resetters in the pipeline for the OEM paper chips and there won’t be because the chip can’t be reset, so the only alternative to OEM carts are refillable compatible carts and ARC chips..