PGI 250 & CLI 251 - suggest cartridges and bulk ink

RLamparter

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5420
I've refilled for a long time, but the 250 / 251 cartridges are new to me.

I see they have a resetter for the chips now. Is there an advantage of using OEM cartridges and a chip resetter or an aftermarket cartridge with an auto reset chip? [Maybe I'm going to answer my own question here, but it looks like taking out a cartridge with an ARC to see how full it is causes it to be reported as full if it's put back in when in fact it may be running low, right?] Any other advantages of OEM vs aftermarket clone cartridges?

Is there a particular brand or type of refillable cartridge that is more convenient or more durable than another brand?
Among many choices I see on eBay are:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CN-Refillab...3830?pt=US_Ink_Cartridges&hash=item2a36e83446

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Refillable-...2977?pt=US_Ink_Cartridges&hash=item4ac95aad81

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pre-fille...1513?pt=US_Ink_Cartridges&hash=item27e03c20e9

Is there something to look for on the type of plug that's being used? Does one brand have a better sponge than another?

I've been using Hobbicolors inks for my MX650 for 4.5 years - up till the pigment ink printing stopped working and I had to buy a new printer. Is there any difference in the ink vendors inks? Are there any ink vendors to stay away from?

Anything else I'm forgetting to ask about refilling this type cartridge?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Canon have done their homework well with the 250/251 cartridges so all refillers are going to have to do the same and yes there are many options regarding these cartridges.

The OEM XL cartridges can be refilled but you can’t reset the chips, nor is there going to be a resetter for them either so for good reliable refilling you’ll have to look elsewhere i.e. refillable compatibles.

There are many types and brands of compatible cartridges out there that work reasonably well but most of them only have one time chips so they too can’t be reset.

Here is a link to a set of cartridges that have ARC chips which may work out better than the ones you were looking at, but check before you commit to buy, and for the US you can also contact http://www.precisioncolors.com/ who may now stock these cartridges cheaper with proper ARC type chips on them and where you can also get the good quality inks you were asking about.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...I-550-BK-CLI-551-KCMYG/414669_1239879782.html

RLamparter

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5420
Thanks for the links. What makes one cartridge better than another and how can you tell in advance?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for the links. What makes one cartridge better than another and how can you tell in advance?
All of these cartridges are manufactured very much the same, so it’s the ink and the chips that makes all the difference, but there still nowhere near as good as OEM’s unfortunately.
I have used these cartridges now for several months and they seem to be ok so far ! :hide

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Some models choke the sponge. Been thru various iterations.

RLamparter

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5420
I have used these cartridges now for several months and they seem to be ok so far ! :hide

Which cartridges? ...the Precisioncolors ones, or ones from Aliexpress?

Thanks to both of you for your responses. Mikling, do you have a preferred supplier for Canon cartridges?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I tested various model over months to finally settle on one I can confidently sell with full functionality. I also ensured that with printing, on normal paper, the output was very acceptable and then put icing on the cake to make top notch profiles that are possibly better than the ones Canon provides.
I posted some pics on another thread on a key aspect affecting some models where the clip hinge chokes the sponge by squeezing the path of ink...on text and non criical printing, it will look fine. When you start doing some critical printing, you realize there is some starvation going on.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Which cartridges? ...the Precisioncolor ones, or ones from Aliexpress?
Mikling’s ones have been tried and tested so it’s a no brainer, Precisioncolor all the way.. :thumbsup

RLamparter

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5420
OK. Order placed for the Precision colors ink and cartridges.
I see instructions for CLI-220/225, but not for CLI-250-251. Is it just a matter of pulling the plug out and squirting ink in ala the old BCI cartridges?
Mikling, do you have a link to the message where you showed the pictures of ink starvation; I'd be curious to see them.