Overview of refilling BCI-6 CLI-8

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This method is not new, it was presented and discussed in this forum some time ago. I just used it.

This method (no. 5) and also no. 1, 2 and lighter valve belong to German method "family". All are just different ways to deliver the ink in spongeless side.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Thanks for the links, but that doesn't answer my question.
In both "no.5" method (it has a name! hehe) and german method you inject ink into the spongeless side of the cartridge. The ink pushes the air that is already in the cartridge out. In both methods the cartridge is upside down. As I understand it, the air exits through the air maze in both cases and this is why the ink must be injected slowly. Is this true? Or is the air, when using the german method, escaping along the needle and through the drilled hole?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Tudor said:
Thanks for the links, but that doesn't answer my question.
In both "no.5" method (it has a name! hehe) and german method you inject ink into the spongeless side of the cartridge. The ink pushes the air that is already in the cartridge out. In both methods the cartridge is upside down. As I understand it, the air exits through the air maze in both cases and this is why the ink must be injected slowly. Is this true? Or is the air, when using the german method, escaping along the needle and through the drilled hole?
It's hard to tell and hard to control how the air exits. It could take all three paths (including the outlet port) or just one or two of them. Unfortunately, if it goes out the air vent path, it may push ink out there ahead of it so if you see ink bridging the gap between the sponge and the air vent, you should stop injecting ink.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Ghwellsjr, I'm sure the air can exit the wrong way and push ink with it. But I would think if you pass the needle between the sponge and the cartridge wall, and not through the sponge, and you inject reasonably slowly, there will be a clear air path alongside the needle, and the air pretty much has to exit that way, doesn't it? I suppose you could always cover the vent and the outlet to reduce flow through the other paths.

Gigigogu, great post. I like the idea of #2. (I suggested it previously, but I might not have been the first to do so.) It has the advantage of not disturbing the contact of the sponge with the outlet filter, but I fear it might create a short path for leaks. How did it work in practice?

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ThrillaMozilla said:
... I fear it might create a short path for leaks. How did it work in practice?
Yes it is.
Really sensitive at squeezing during refill.
Also one of four cartridges in a set of BCI-6 leaked a little during storage, but I may just overfilled.
However, in use all it was ok, no signs of leak.

As a side note, drilling the angled hole is not easy.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
ThrillaMozilla said:
Ghwellsjr, I'm sure the air can exit the wrong way and push ink with it. But I would think if you pass the needle between the sponge and the cartridge wall, and not through the sponge, and you inject reasonably slowly, there will be a clear air path alongside the needle, and the air pretty much has to exit that way, doesn't it? I suppose you could always cover the vent and the outlet to reduce flow through the other paths.
I think you are correct about the air exiting along the needle especially if you use an 18 gauge needle which is what I like to use. Some people use a 20 gauge needle which allows for a smaller hole and leaves a much smaller air gap. But I think the large needle and hole may be a contributing factor to the leak I experienced out the refill several weeks after refilling while the cartridge was sitting on a desktop, even though it had a piece of (re-used) tape over the refill hole.