New Printers that are beyond the 225/226 or 525/526. Time to hoard!

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I do not like the long elongated seal. I imagine it is long for a reason. The reason appears to be that the printer needs to be as flat as possible and it is mimicking the shape and utility of the Epson Artisan 7xx series. To install the cartridges a large component of the insertion is now required to be horizontal. You are literally kind of sliding the cartridges into place. This necessitates a long surface to the pad. This could lead to another issue long term seal wear.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
If the ink monitor needs to be disabled it doesn't matter if you have a cli-251 chip on a cli-251xl cartridge.

Can the cartridge be modified to gain the extra space from the empty chamber? I was thinking of drilling two holes in the extra wall and then sealing the outer holes.
Is the clip on the back of the cartridge flexible enough to bend down and up again without breaking?

8048_cli-551_modified.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Tudor

A good idea but can you not drill down from the top refill hole into the side wall instead ?
Hope you dont mind me using your Pic. :hu

5128_521_cart.jpg

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Tudor wrote:

...Can the cartridge be modified to gain the extra space from the empty chamber? I was thinking of drilling two holes in the extra wall and then sealing the outer holes...
Sadly you cannot do that :( See this for the inner works of the CLI-551 XL and standard versions. Go to page 3 and scroll down to see the cartridges cut open: http://translate.google.dk/translat..._betanken_sie_canons_neue_single_ink_patronen

You find links to more info about these cartridges in posts #2 and #6 in this thread: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8463

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Drilling in from the top, I would be afraid of damaging the fill hole. But why not just drill in from the side? You might leave some plastic chips in there, but you can clean most of them out, and I think they float in ink.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
PeterBJ said:
Tudor wrote:

...Can the cartridge be modified to gain the extra space from the empty chamber? I was thinking of drilling two holes in the extra wall and then sealing the outer holes...
Sadly you cannot do that :( See this for the inner works of the CLI-551 XL and standard versions. Go to page 3 and scroll down to see the cartridges cut open: http://translate.google.dk/translat..._betanken_sie_canons_neue_single_ink_patronen

You find links to more info about these cartridges in posts #2 and #6 in this thread: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8463
So its buy a complete second set of XL carts and be done with it.
At least they can be refilled with some success.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
PeterBJ said:
Sadly you cannot do that :(
Let's try this again. Why not?

I wouldn't drill in from the end because who knows what you are drilling through? And besides, you might destroy the clip. I wouldn't want to drill straight down from the top because you would be drilling through the joint between two different kinds of plastic, and possibly causing a leak. But you could drill in from the side, either straight in or on a diagonal.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
ThrillaMozilla said:
PeterBJ said:
Sadly you cannot do that :(
Let's try this again. Why not?

I wouldn't drill in from the end because who knows what you are drilling through? And besides, you might destroy the clip. I wouldn't want to drill straight down from the top because you would be drilling through the joint between two different kinds of plastic, and possibly causing a leak. But you could drill in from the side, either straight in or on a diagonal.
Here is the reason explained with pictures. Compliments of druckerchannel.de
5128_541_cart.png

I just hope they dont mind me reproducing them.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I hope this link directly to page 3 is easier to use.

See the pictures here, scroll down to the pictures of the opened CLI-551 XL and standard cartridges: http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=3269&seite=3&t=aufbau_der_tintenpatronen or a Google translation: http://translate.google.dk/translat...9&seite=3&t=aufbau_der_tintenpatronen&act=url

It is seen that the standard cartridge is deliberately designed to leak, if you try to drill the partition and seal the outside of the cartridge. Marking 1 is the partition, marking 2 is an air intake, which I think is impossible to seal off. Marking 3 is the sealed off part of the ink chamber.

Edit: I see The Hat just proved my link from post #14 worked properly :)

InkQuisitive

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Tudor said:
Is the clip on the back of the cartridge flexible enough to bend down and up again without breaking?
Maybe drill through the clip as well?