New cartrage V New Printer

Dale

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 6940
Hello,
I have a HP 6940. Cartridges cost around 80.00 For the color and black. I've tried the after market ones with varying degrees of success. Looking for a new printer that can print card stock and photos. Photos are mostly 4x6 for greeting cards. Any ideas for something that won't cost a fortune in ink later. Or a Good source for aftermarket ink. The Epson 4550 would solve the ink problem but I don't know about heavy weight paper or quality of photos.I print about 4000 copies a year. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Dale

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
ALL OEM inks in carts will cost a small fortune, no matter if Epson, Canon, HP, Brother, or whomever. That's just the way inkjet printers are marketed. Printers cheap, replacement ink expensive. The so-called "razor blade" marketing scheme.

UNLESS you choose a printer with carts easy to refill or obtain reliable "compatible" carts for, and less longevity of the images is secondary to cost.

Where do you live (what country)? That makes a difference in printer recommendations

Dale

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 6940
Thanks for the reply. I live in the USA. Epson has Ink wells but the printer is 500.00 Ouch. Cannon has some ink program free ink for 2 years. Was leaning towards more for the printer now and less for ink later. Assuming the printer last. That way photos would hopefully last longer. I cant find specs on what weight of paper they will print. 110# card stock would be good.
Thanks again for the reply
Dale

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
You could best find answers to the Epson models with built in CISS systems (there's several models other than the one you mentioned) by just reading the Amazon reviews and questions for those models. Many comments will discuss paper handling limitations.