Need Help With Pro-100 Leaked Ink Issue

inertiamonster

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Hello! I've just had a mishap with my Pro-100 and a leaking cyan cartridge, almost the entire full cartridge leaked inside the printer. I tried to print today and every time I would turn the printer on I would get a red warning message with service code 5700 telling me to restart the printer or to contact the service center and no amount of restarting would fix it. So I unplugged the printer and started looking around inside of it and there was cyan ink all over the absorber below the track, and I pulled out the print head assembly and there cyan ink all over it, and there was ink all over the various components where the print head rests inside the printer.

So far I have pulled out the track absorber and cleaned it, I am cleaning the print head, I've wiped up as much excess ink as I can from inside the printer, and I've pulled out and rinsed the two absorber pads. My question is what else do I need to do? Is there a waste ink tank that I may have filled? If so can you point me to a DIY to access it and empty it?

Also, what it a method to reset the waste ink counter and/or the printer itself when I'm done? I've search for all of this info and I can only find it for older models.

Thanks in advance for any help!

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
The leaked ink has either shorted out a set of contacts, or is blocking an optical sensor somewhere. Clean-up will not be easy.

The printer has a "replaceable" waste ink "diaper" at the bottom of the casing, but it's a REAL job to get to it. Others can chime in about waste ink reset procedures.

inertiamonster

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Thanks for the reply! Actually, it appears the ink leak and the error code were a case of poor timing and may be unrelated? I got everything cleaned up and reinstalled and still got the 5700 error which apparently is a paper feed issue, ran the roller cleaning a couple of times and everything is working again. At least for now, fingers crossed...

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Good to hear!

Why did the cart leak?

OEM or aftermarket cart?

inertiamonster

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
OEM cart, I just got started on refilling with a kit from Precision Ink, I did four carts on the first try, three of mine that were empty and I had to opened up to fill, and their clean yellow cart that I swapped my chip onto. I had just put four full carts in the printer so that's why I only had to do four. For whatever reason the cyan was the only one of four that had an issue and of course it was the last one I did. Lesson learned, next time I do refills I'm going to leave them out of the printer for a few hours on a paper towel to ensure they are sealed.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The printer has a "replaceable" waste ink "diaper" at the bottom of the casing, but it's a REAL job to get to it. Others can chime in about waste ink reset procedures
@inertiamonster, when you get the waste counter full notice on this machine, your best option is to just remove the carts and print head and pop them into another Pro-100, then send the carcass for recycling.

Canon have now made it impossible to service your own printer, but instead your supposed to send back to them to do it, that’s why it is far cheaper to get another discounted machine when they become available again.

It sounds like you need to brush up on your cartridges refilling technique, because you should always make sure you seal the cartridge airtight before installing, after refilling remove the orange clip from the outlet for a minute to check for leaks...

inertiamonster

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Thanks, yeah as I already said I goofed there, I think I rushed that last one thinking I had the process nailed.

Where do these magically go on sale for less than $100 that I keep hearing about?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Where do these magically go on sale for less than $100 that I keep hearing about?
@inertiamonster, you’re in the land of the FREE, so watch all the big stores for their $50 give aways, not quite free but near enough. :oops:

Someone usually post here when there’s a discount going, and coming up to Christmas there’s bound to be a big sale on...:D

inertiamonster

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
So an update, the cyan cartridge is still leaking after I refilled it yesterday, luckily it was only a small amount this time, it was not leaking when I left it sitting upright on a paper towel yesterday. When inspecting it again today I noticed that the sponge is now completely saturated and no matter what I do I can't get it to seal properly. Is that an indication that the top hole never sealed right or could there be another issue with the cartridge?

I'm going to buy another cyan rather than risk another big leak but I'd appreciate any other tips, again out of the four I refilled this is the only one that had an issue and I did them all the same way per the instructions from Precision.