My way to clean a blocked PGI-9 print head !

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the inlet on the printer. Now take a look at the outlet of the PGI-9 cartridge. Match them up.

Now what happens when you perform a deep clean.

You'll soon see the connection and the reason why there was a disconnect in the ink column.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Take a look at the inlet on the printer. Now take a look at the outlet of the PGI-9 cartridge. Match them up.

Now what happens when you perform a deep clean.

You'll soon see the connection and the reason why there was a disconnect in the ink column.
That was part of what I was thinking in my last post despite not commenting directly on it.

Let's not beat around the bush, mikling. Is there a sponge in both the cartridge and the print head?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
NO sponge in PGI-9
http://www.precisioncolors.com/PGI-9_Internals.html

It is possible that when the deep cleaning was done, the printhead ingested air from the sides This small bubbles then eventually joined together to form an empty void. Finally to be ejected when the printhead was recharged during a cycle somewhere.

Weird things can sometimes happen.

The magenta is not likely to come back. I have been playing around with inks and baking them to see what happens. When pigment is baked, bad things happen...it appears totally waterproof. Windex with ammonia does not dissolve it whatsoever. However if it is dried....not baked.....Windex with ammonia will easily dissolve it in a flash. These are "normal" clogs....unbaked solidified ink....very dissolvable. If Pigment is baked on like during starvation or incorrect resin choice.....the deposits are extremely stubborn. ..Normal soaking will hardly budge it.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The blue colored thing is likely the outlet pad. It is not perfectly clean. It is fibrous and makes contact with the printhead.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The blue colored thing is likely the outlet pad. It is not perfectly clean. It is fibrous and makes contact with the printhead.
In essence and function a sponge.

So, there are "sponges" on both the print head and the cartridge. These sponges must line up and properly for ink to properly enter the print head in a controlled fashion. Do they function in the same or similar manner as the sponges in other Canon cartridges? At least partially I would posit. Why else use them when there is a mesh screen?

And what about that mesh screen? Do the mesh screen and fibrous pad/sponge and sponge in the print head collectively function like the sponges in other Canon cartridges?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
mikling, thanks for the insights

I suppose the cartridge must be tightly sealed on the head

The Hat mentioned "flooding", as I experienced myself it happens that the cartridge is wet with ink around the outlet.
IMO this is caused by dried ink on (and under) the rubber gasket.
I remove the gasket and clean it, also the groove in the printhead.
This seems to stop the leakage (as recently with my MX7600 Cyan).

I will verify again all the inlets and observe possible correlation with malfunctioning colors.

Could a badly seated cartridge suck air in the printhead and cause gelling or solidifying of the ink ?

Last edited:

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/the-internals-of-the-canon-pigment-ink-cartridge-pgi-9.7296/

Epson has begun mesh to mesh. I think the sponge is for better reliable contact between surfaces. Canon has always transferred liquid this way.

OMG they sure to me seemed to have used that cart range as some weird experiment. I doubt looking at the pictures they would bother again. The combination of the spring and metal plate alone must make the carts expensive to produce (which equals less profit). Oh and as with everything the more complicated you make it the more that can go wrong.