Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Chris Tipton-King

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Chris
Hey all,
I'm incredibly disappointed. After significant research, I bought a Canon MX922 to replace my dead 2006 MP530. I like having an ADF, and I was happy with the 5-ink results from my MP, so it seemed like the logical choice over the high ink cost and ADF-less MG series. I expected at least similar, if not better performance from the new printer. After all, it uses the same number of inks and same print resolution. I was shocked to discover that it didn't live up to the nearly decade-old printer on may fronts, especially the most important element for me-image quality.

The Good
It's really pretty, the two-tone gradient deep red is fancy... and also a dust and scratch magnet. I haven't even had the thing a week, and I've handled it gingerly, and it has a scratch across the ginormous Canon logo on the front and looks like I battered it and rolled it in a panko-crumb sprinkling of static-attracted dust. The self-opening tray with its automatic flip out extension is super cool, but unlike the MP530 tray which gracefully glided down, the MX tray opens with a startling THWACK. In fact, the sound design of the machine in general seems to have taken a lower priority, since the print mechanism is now up front for easier cartridge loading, the whole thing is now louder and clickier than the MP, even in quiet mode.

The MX922 boots lighting fast, and has some great networking features, I love having WiFi and cloud print, and the UI is pretty slick. It can even download and install its own firmware updates. The design is simplified and it takes up a bit less space than the old model, since it does away with the extra complex hinge mechanism for opening the top of the printer. 2-sided ADF scanning is cool, although it doesn't work with nonstandard paper sizes, which happens to be the majority of what I use the ADF for (bills and paystubs). I like the two-tray design, although I liked having easy access to a rear sheet feeder for loading envelopes—that now requires removing paper from the 8.5x11 lower cassette, as it doesn't fit in the dedicated photo paper upper cassette. I also like that the CD printing tray cleverly stows hidden below the photo cassette. It's thoughtful that Canon provides an ethernet port, in case your printer is going someplace with spotty WiFi.

I like Canon's drivers, especially the feature which does OCR on your scans to make PDFs searchable. Creative Park comes with some unintentionally amusing and very Japanese templates, including some anime greeting cards peppered with incongruous stock photos of blonde and blue eyed families.

The Bad
That's all well and good, but the key thing I want a printer to do well is to print. To test the printer, I printed a photo that I'd previously printed on my MP530, on the same Plus Glossy II paper, and at the same quality setting (high). The MP530 produced excellent quality prints nearly indistinguishable from lab prints, with accurate color and no visible droplets or dithering/halftoning patterns, except for some minor horizontal streaking. The MX922 produced pinkish skintones and awful, obvious polka-dot dithering with what looked like enormous droplets. It was so bad, I immediately checked to see if I'd loaded the paper upside down!

In repairing my MP530, I discovered something unexpected in the service manual: the highest print resolution (9600x2400) is reserved for the Pro Platinum paper setting, and requires you to choose Custom and drag the quality slider to the highest setting. Surprisingly, just choosing "high" from the popup menu gets you only the second highest resolution (1200x2400). I thought perhaps this has to do with the expensive paper supporting finer resolution—or perhaps it's also Canon trying to make the expensive consumable look better by reserving the printhead's best work for only that paper. So, to experiment, I tried printing again, using the Pro Platinum setting on the MX922. The results improved,with the nasty dithering mostly gone but still with color much less accurate than what my now-retroactively-beloved MP530 produced. I tried printing from different apps, and at different quality and color matching settings, to no avail. There's simply no forgiving quality this poor in a top-of-the-line 2015 printer.

Click this link, then click Download to view full res >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/tuspbuxftnxoudg/MX922 comparison.jpg?dl=0

MX922 comparison.jpg

Original image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/txsfcr8fwlw6np8/YZ4A9769.jpg?dl=0

The Ugly
If that weren't bad enough, compare the ink costs. Granted, the following yield specs use different test patterns, but the droplet size is the same, so unless the MX uses much less ink for cleaning (unlikely), the operating cost is sky high by comparison. Even if you buy XL/XXL inks, the ink costs nearly double what I was spending on the MP530:

Cost per mL
MP530: $0.78/mL color 4-pack, $0.45/mL PGI black
MX922, largest capacity/highest value cartridges: $1.44/mL XL color 3-pack plus XL black, $0.95/mL XXL PGI black

Droplet size for both: 1 pL

MP530 tank size: 13 mL color, 26 mL PGI black
Black text page yield: 820 pages
Photo prints: 290 4x6 at minimum (magenta lasts the shortest)

MX922 tank sizes: 7 mL color, 11 mL XL color; 15 mL PGI black, 22 mL XL, 37 mL XXL
Black text page yield (standard size cartridge): 300 pages
Photo prints: 121 minimum (cyan lasts the shortest)

MX922 yield chart: Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 2.53.23 PM.png

MP530 yield chart: Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 2.53.30 PM.png

So there you have it: I'm considering sending it back. What a terrible disappointment. After tearing apart my MP530 in the repair process, I admired how well it was put together, and hoped that a new Canon would be the same quality. I don't understand the logic here as to why they'd design an inferior successor: the new printer isn't significantly faster (actually, it feels slower because of the long pre-print cleaning cycle), it doesn't seem more reliable (it seems more fragile), are they protecting their dedicated pro photo products by making the quality worse, or is it just cost-cutting?

I'd love to hear your recommendations on what to get instead—are the MG series better? I still like the software on the Canon side (auto OCR for PDFs). Should I ditch Canon for Epson (had build quality and color matching issues with them before) or HP (awful build quality)?

Last edited:

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
You are not the first who has to realize that newer does not mean better printers, especially regarding build quality.

Here is a test of mx925 and mp520 - both should be able to print good photos..
http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=2118&seite=14&t=fotodruckqualitaet_und_tempo
http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=3300&seite=11&t=fotodruck_qualitaet_und_tempo

.. but I would prefer a used canon CLI-8 printer instead of a new one, because of easy refilling and old school build quality. But you have to find one in good condition, in most cases the printhead has burnt nozzles and you probably have to include the costs for a new ph...

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
ditto on they don't build them like they used to

there is one new MP530 at a crazy high price - $599
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231304125817

there are some new MP830's(MP530's big brother) too, $700 - $800
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000ELV2MA/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

yes, crazy high prices, the ink refill savings help to soften the impact

build quality on the MP830 is legendary, i imagine the MP530 quality is similar

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MP830, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

Chris Tipton-King

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Chris
How about the MX850? It looks like the MP830 but with an ethernet port.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
the MX850 has the same ink carts(PGI5,CLI8) as your MP530 and the MP830, looks to be of the same build quality.

the next generation of canons, MX860/MX870, canon used lower quality components, smaller ink carts(220/221s'), etc

here's a good thread that talks about build quality issues, re MX860 all-in-one: worse than MX850/MP830

http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/mx860-all-in-one-worse-than-mx850-mp830.3540/

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MP830, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Your post piqued my curiosity, because I came very close to buying an MX922 instead of my HP Photosmart.

I wonder if you wouldn't do all right by just keeping the 922. I noticed in the German reviews, the MX922 showed very nice, smooth grain, better than most. And the parrot was among the best. The faces were a little muddy, as you observed, but that is fixable with a little adjustment. I can only guess why your printer gives grainy prints, but it might pay to double check, in view of the reviews. Sometimes a little adjustment is the best option.

As for the cost of ink, one of the attractions for me was that Precision Colors offers a resetter and a set of replacement cartridges for that printer, giving about the easiest refilling you can get anywhere. It costs about $100 to start, and after that the ink is almost free -- albeit probably not as good as Canon ink.

Last edited:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I have no experience with the MX922 (even don't know if it is sold in Europe), but use several printers from recent generations who indeed are not build as sturdy as before.
But I've found the print quality outstanding.
Ink yield, cartridge size are no issues when you refill.
Software support from Canon on the latest OS's, not to forget that most of them have wifi and the latest even cloud connection.

Since, as already mentioned, the oldest generations are worn out, we have to live with what's available and still refillable/resettable and stop mourning about the past.
There are still plenty of printers in the 520/521 (other regions 220/221) and 525/526 generation on second hand sites.
Recently bought an IP4600 for a friend for €25. An oldie, I agree, but at these prices stock them (for the printhead) and throw them away when used.