My New Epson Stylus Photo 1500w (artisan 1430) !!!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
So after more than a semester ago I finally managed to scan my sun irradiated prints from my Epson 1500W with different ink sets from original Epson Claria dye to 3rd party dye and pigment inks.

How to interpret these pictures:

Each scan contains 4 images: the 2 on the left column are the reference prints, being kept away safely in the dark cupboard in a box. Upper reference print on Netbit Glossy 270 gsm glossy paper, lower reference print on Eposn Semi Gloss 251 gsm paper. The column on the right are the same prints on the same corresponding paper, but after 6 months exposed to sun light.

Scan 1: Epson Claria Photographic ink (OEM)

fadetest_Epson_Claria_Epson_1500W.jpg

scan 2: OCP K3 CcMmYk subset pigment ink

fadetest_OCP_K3_pigment_Epson_1500W.jpg

scan 3: OCP Claria compatible dye ink

fadetest_OCP_Claria_dye_Epson_1500W.jpg

Scan 4: Inkowl Fade resistant Dye ink

fadetest_Inkowl_fade_resistant_Epson_1500W.jpg

scan 5: Coralgraph dye ink

fadetest_Coralgraph_Epson_1500W.jpg

Conclusion: original Epson Claria Photographic ink still rules in terms of fade resistance. As expected pigment ink is very fade resistant. Inkowl is quite good, but still has some fading. OCP Claria compatible dye refill ink is quite disappointing indeed: fading of this ink is just unacceptable.
The strangest surprise in the Coralgraph ink: despite the slight fading the prints after 6 months of fading is remarkedly good.

Attachments

• fadetest_Epson_Claria_Epson_1500W.jpg
    fadetest_Epson_Claria_Epson_1500W.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 715
  • fadetest_OCP_K3_pigment_Epson_1500W.jpg
    fadetest_OCP_K3_pigment_Epson_1500W.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 675

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Pardon my ignorance, but is the Epson Claria Photographic ink (OEM) a dye or pigment ink?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Emulator: Epson Claria Photographic is dye. As you can see: the quality of this original dye ink is superior to any of the 3rd party dye inks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I’d be happy with all of the inks in the test prints except the OCP; I would bet that the OCP ink is probably the cheapest too ! The best prints come from OEM ink/paper combination.
Thanks pharmacists..:thumbsup

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Remarkably good illustrative results. I wonder how Canon would fare in similar tests?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Remarkably good illustrative results. I wonder how Canon would fare in similar tests?

I suggest someone sacrifice himself, like I do and did in the past, and start a fade test him/herself to see what the results will be :weee. It was quite a job, as I had to purchase 6 sets of refillable cartridges for my printer and dumping alot of ink in my "printer potty" attached to the waste ink tubing system.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I’ll be getting some new inks for my iX7000 shortly so I’ll be in a position to test out I.S. ink against Sudhaus ink but not the OEM ink because I don’t have any left !

Yes I know the 7000 is not a proper photo printer but I have to test somewhere, and this is as good a place to start as anywhere, I’ll only be testing the ink not the quality of the output and I only have Sihl gloss to test on, so it will be limited.

Hopefully results by Christmas 14..
How’s them for apples @Emulator. :D

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Well! I have some boring 'ol Cone K3 pigment in my 3880, either late 2012 or early 2013 (I did little printing 2013) so all the images I made are at least 18 months old. I did a bit of a tidy up earlier this month and found this sitting on a shelf of a book case directly under a window facing WEST. Sun is from the North and we have very large windows on all 4 walls of the study that means it got FULL sun for 50% and indirect for 100%.
The paper is Xerox iGen 3. Apart from turned up edges and a difference in the BRIGHTNESS setting Left was +61 and right was only +53. I cant pick any point of difference.

con001.jpg

Image on the left is the exposed image. Note paper colour also!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well! I have some boring 'ol Cone K3 pigment in my 3880, either late 2012 or early 2013 (I did little printing 2013) so all the images I made are at least 18 months old. I did a bit of a tidy up earlier this month and found this sitting on a shelf of a book case directly under a window facing WEST. Sun is from the North and we have very large windows on all 4 walls of the study that means it got FULL sun for 50% and indirect for 100%.
The paper is Xerox iGen 3. Apart from turned up edges and a difference in the BRIGHTNESS setting Left was +61 and right was only +53. I cant pick any point of difference.

View attachment 1484

Image on the left is the exposed image. Note paper colour also!

Hi 3dogs: well I wasn't surprised with pigment ink holding its brightness after long exposure to solar irradation, as pigment inks are always very fade resistant. No: most importantly are the test for dye inks, which known to be susceptible to fading even after a few months. As you can see my test with OCP pigment ink also doesn't show any fading.

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I’ll be getting some new inks for my iX7000 shortly so I’ll be in a position to test out I.S. ink against Sudhaus ink but not the OEM ink because I don’t have any left !

Yes I know the 7000 is not a proper photo printer but I have to test somewhere, and this is as good a place to start as anywhere, I’ll only be testing the ink not the quality of the output and I only have Sihl gloss to test on, so it will be limited.

Hopefully results by Christmas 14..
How’s them for apples @Emulator. :D

Give me cider instead!

I had never heard of the 7000, so looked up:http://www.misco.co.uk/productinfo/...5&cadevice=c&gclid=CKWytqC3078CFVHKtAodMCgAjg

So isn't it a pigment printer?

@3dogs That's an interesting picture. The colours are unusual and if you copy the image and try printing it, the results on a dye printer are not good in comparison to your original.

@pharmacist I admire your efforts, but my equipment and inks are limited to the 9000 II and IS inks, so I'll stick to profiles!

Last edited: