My canon i9900 has a message error #5200 "A problem has occurred with

laurapowell

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
the printer mechanism" and it blinks 8 times. the manual says that if the orange light blinks 8 times it could be that the Waste Tank pad is full. I figured out how to reset the printer so that the light stops but as soon as I tried to print, it started blinking again. Anyone have any ideas what the mechanism is. I found instructions telling me how to clean the waste tank pad but, I would have to take the printer apart and then would need a diagram to follow to do this.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Laura P

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The error you usually get from the printer if the ink waste tank is full is just that. "Waste Ink Tank Full". Once reset you shouldn't get that error until the printer thinks the waste tank is full again. The printer firmware counts the number of times the nozzles fire and determines when the waste ink tank should be full.
The error you have seems to be a mechanical one. You should find a Canon repair facility and get it repaired.

laurapowell

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Tyamada, That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for saving me the time it would have took for me to take the darn thing apart. I will get it checked out.
Laura Powell

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I don't have an i9900 so I don't know exactly how to reset it. Perhaps you did not reset it correctly. Usually when the reset is done correctly the waste ink tank memory is erased and the waste ink tank becomes empty. It should not be full again for a long time. But remember the waste ink tank must have been almost full for the printer to send you the warning. Resetting the waste ink tank memory does not empty the physical waste ink tank. If you reset the waste ink tank memory only it may overflow and mess up the printer internally eventually. You must physically empty the waste ink tank too.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
If you can make printer error go away and you can enter service mode, then print a test page using service mode. It will list your wate ink counter with all other info. If wate ink counter is nor reset you will know.

If it's reset but you still get the problem you will know it's a mechanical one.

laurapowell

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Smile & Leo,
I will try it again with your suggestions.
Thanks,
Laura P

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Just found this online.....Hope it works for you, because I have one as well, and it is a fabulous printer!!

Here is the procedure to reset waste ink for Canon i9900

1) With the printer powered off, hold down the resume button and press the power button.

2) While holding down the power button, release the resume button and press the resume button twice in succession. Now release the power
button. The indicator will blink in green and remain lit in green.

3) Press resume 4 times (Green) for Waste ink counter reset.

4) Press the power button. The printer will switch itself off after performing the function.

let us know if it works..and good luck!!