Mx882 trouble

dbenjamin

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
mx882
All

After years of refilling my old MX860 the printhead has become clogged. 4 years ago during Black Friday I bought an MX882 in case my MX860 died. Today I opened it up, and when I installed the brand new cartridges that came with it they are not recognized. What happens is that 2-3 of them will light up when I initially put them in (but not all of them) then when I close the printer all 5 are not recognized and the lights turn off. Any thoughts on what may be causing this? It has sat indoors and sealed for 4 years.

THanks

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Obvious questions...
  1. What designation/type are the MX882 cartridges (PGI-225, CLI-226?)
  2. Are the cartridges definitely OEM (Canon originals)?
  3. Has the printhead been installed/seated properly?
  4. Any signs of damage to the connection contacts on the back of the printhead?
  5. Ditto 4. regarding the contact wires in the printhead receiver/carriage?
Pictures of all of the above would probably help if you can snap a few and share them on here.

dbenjamin

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
mx882
Thanks for the reply. To recap, this is an unopened MX882 in the box. The 4 small cartridges say CLI226 and the big black one says PG225. I have reinstalled the printhead several times to no avail. The contacts look OK, I'll attach a photo. I can't see the contact wires but I can feel spring loaded contacts with my pinky. I'm also attaching a photo of the cartridges loaded, this time the yellow one lit up but not the others. Over my trials all but the blue have lit up at one time or another, but once I close the printer the lights go off. Also I purchased a chip resetter for CLI-226 and it works fine on the cartridges.

IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hmm... well so much for obvious causes then... If I didn't know better I'd say the chips were borked due to a battery issue but they don't have batteries.

However if you have a chip resetter that may have made the situation worse rather than better. I'm guessing you used the resetter out of desperation after numerous other attempts to resolve things?

dbenjamin

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
mx882
Exactly. I tried reseating the printhead and taking the carts in and out for about 20 min, and decided to try the resetter to see if the chips were dead. I only used the resetter on the black and yellow carts. I was trying to decide if it was worth buying new carts and at this point I don't think so.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hmm... very odd indeed... I've never heard of an ink expiry on these cartridges but given the age, could that be the issue?

I've never heard of an expiry date on a chip before but I'm really struggling here. The likelihood is that it's a poor electrical connection causing the issue though.

I'd drop Canon a call about it.. Stick to the fact that the cartridges are originals, not being recognised and they may replace them for you. Worth a shot if nothing else.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
That issue is definitely electrical, try rubbing the front of the cartridge chips with a pencil eraser and nothing else, now here’s the hard part.

Start again with all of the cartridges out and the printer turned off with only the print head installed, then turn on the printer and insert just one cartridge and close the top cover then wait for the on screen message to appear with no errors.

Now do that with each cartridge in turn making sure that none of the LED lights are still on before you insert the next cartridge, but don’t leave the yellow cartridge till last..

I’ve had that happen to my iP4500 also for no apparent reason, it hasn’t happen since, thankfully.. :)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You could also try gently cleaning the contact spring for the chips using a Q-tip moistened with an electronics contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol. These contact springs are located in the print head carriage. Here is an image showing the contact springs in an iP4200, marked in red. The contact springs are similar in the MX882.

6881_ip4200_printhead_carriage.jpg

It might be a bit far fetched, but could outgassing from the plastic packaging material have contaminated the contact springs due to a long storage time?

Last edited: