MX860 Printer Won't Turn On After Attempting B200 FIX

vienna01

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX922/Canon LBP6230dw
Among the posted "solutions" for fixing the B200 ERROR CODE on the MX860 Printer I tried the one listed below in BLUE, Now the printer will no longer turn on.

The B200 Fix procedure I tried:

PRINTER OFF
Lift cover where I change the print ink carts.
TURN PRINTER ON WHILE COVER STILL RAISED

This seemed to work. The printer started to turn on normally without any error codes. I closed printer. The Display showed the moving dots. Then the printer turned off. It will not start now. I repeated the procedure. Same problem. I disconnected the power. same problem.
Suggestions to restart it please?

Other Info: Before B200 Error Message Printer indicated 1 Cyan Cart needs replacement. It was not yet empty. Typically I can still print for over 50 pages before EMPTY cart happens and stops printer.
Now the carts are stopped on left side of track[as I face printer]. I cannot now replace cyan cart EXCEPT by manually moving cart assembly to center of track. I won't try this until members suggest it is OK to do that.

LOVE MY MX860 & the Cheap non-OEM carts I have been using for several years. Don't want to replace it.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It sounds like you need a new print head, that should solve all of your problems..

vienna01

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Since I cannot start printer to get everything to center where I can remove old printhead, can I safely move the print carraige to the center manually?
I have an extra mprinthead bought new several years ago & vacuum packed to prevent corrosion etc. I had to clean it out before vacuum packing it. The seller in China put it in a printer to prove it worked. DUH!
Hope I don't need to buy another now.
------------------------------------------------------
I saw several other "fixes" to B200 error message that didn't require new print head. Are these usually successful?

THANKS EVER SO MUCH FOR YOUR FAST RESPONSE TO MY ORIGINAL POST>
I FIND THIS FORUM TO BE FIRST RATE. Great participation and real useful answers.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Canon printhead carriages are typically mechanically latched into position over the purge pads when powered down. You may have to disassemble the printer to manually unlatch the carriage or change the printhead. No guarantee that the printer will power up upon replacing the printhead, though...

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Yes, there are reports that a B200 error could be fixed, but there are many more reports that a B200 printhead is dead, but not only the printhead but as well the motherboard...And then people insert a new printhead into the printer, and the defect motherboard kills this new printhead as well. You would need a printhead, one you can sacrifice, so that you can test whether the motherboard still is working, with this test printhead, the unit either comes up again, and then you can switch to a brandnew printhead with more confidence, or that printhead will smoke away as well.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@vienna01, You can safely move the print head to the centre by hand to enable you to replace the head, just make sure the machine is powered off first.

The loss of a print head due to a faulty logic board is extremely rare and it’s most unlikely to happen to anyone, it’s a chance in a thousand so yes it can still happen, that’s why it’s always wise to give this warning.

The B200 error can cover a multiple of things inside your printer especially if it’s software related and can usually be overcome by powering the printer off and removing the plug for 5 minutes but if it relates to the print head then it’s more than likely to be an over heating issue, a burn out or both which is fatal..

vienna01

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
See my separate post requesting replacement advice. I am giving up on both mx860s
I need advice on replacement that uses my large suppy of carts
My sincere thanks to all who offered help. Just was not simple enough for this 77 year old.

Latest posts